So... I got in a 'el stupido' situation today.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by IROCUBabe, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Hey, we have ALL had moments that were, uh "learning experiences." And yeah, it can be very embarrassing when it happens. But it IS a learning experience, and if no one gets hurt, and no damage gets done, and no ticket gets received, then WTH! It's all good!

It's not gonna be too long before you look back on this one and laugh at yourself. We've all had things happen we laugh at later.

As to someone saying they will never have a GPS, OK, I don't care. If you have no desire to have a very useful tool, then don't. But as far as I'm concerned, any tool that helps with the job is a good tool. You just have to remember that all it is, is a tool. You still have to use your head.

On the church parking lot issue: No way should you use any asphalt paved private lot without permission. You can do hundreds of dollars worth of damage to that lot with you big truck. Also, you will quite often see overhead wires to the lights for the lot, and these wires may well be below the height limit for a truck.

Jody Larson and notarps4me Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    I stopped calling customers when they tried to send me under a 12 foot overpass

"but I see trucks go under it all the time"

Stupid is as stupid does though.

4. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    Yep that Rand McNalley on the lap would have been the thing to do! Always keep it with in arms reach! I'm a techno wheenie and with all the "tools" I use that paper map is STILL the best to use! Note. If it isn't a truck related GPS system you are asking for trouble! You were lucky you didn't find yourself on a restricted route! The fine would have bought a GOOD truck GPS system! MS just isn't that good! Try to use Google maps sometime for new and actual pictures of where you need to go!~

Next time WAKE HUBBIE!

5. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Heck; at my house I have a hard driveway to make in a big truck. Narrow road that I can only come in 1 direction because of a bridge. I have widened this drive quite a bit, but the angle is bad and drive is steep. Part of my walkway to the house off of the drive I have busted the concrete with my steers bobtailing.

6. rubbergearsnextyear

rubbergearsnextyear Heavy Load Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Lexington, SC
    Any time you come to a T intersection, you can turn around easily! Just make a left turn and then back up and then make another left turn and wallah! You're all turned around and it's not an issue at all when you have co-driver to direct traffic if needed.

If all else fails, call the cops. We've all been in those sticky situations but when in doubt, set the brakes and get out and take a deep breath and call the cops if you have to! Regardless of what GPS tells you, always read the signs and let the signs guide you in stead of gps ALWAYS!

GPS will catch back up with you eventually and figure out from there where to go just ALWAYS (unless of course your customer is off the beaten path but you should know that ahead of time) remember to follow the posted truck routes ahead of anything GPS might tell you.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  7. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Lewisville TX
    I have done many stupid things my self, and things like this happen to all of us.. Good for you that the situation turned out good, and no one was hurt, nor any damage done..

8. Stump

Stump Heavy Load Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Modesto CA
    Iam a new goat, and in 6 years have never used a G.P.S. Nothing beats a atlas and calling your shp/rec before going in. At night, use a good spotlight, i have one on the truck by the drivers door. My Dad told me after a while useing the atlas and the "old goat" way, you learn to "Use the force Luke" to find your way out of a wrong turn and such, because trust me, it happens to all of us.

9. IROCUBabe

IROCUBabe Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Good advice rubbers, on those old country roads like that it was entirely possible, I never even thought of that lol.

My fave is calling the customer and asking them how to get there and they are like... 'I don't know'. .... how the hell did YOU get there?

Big Don Thanks this.
  10. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado

no no no no no

never invite the Man into your life.

Never

But I agree with the T intersection rule, done that a lot.

11. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I have called the cops 2 or 3 times. I have never had one give me grief. They would rather help you out then have you tear something up and they have to do a report on it.

1nonly and Jody Larson Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.