So i had my truck searched on friday

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by eckz, Jul 27, 2008.

1. eckz

eckz <strong>"Radio Rambo"</strong>

Sep 15, 2007
    Detroit, Michigan
    Heading up to Beloit Wisconsin friday morning to get my load off, get reloaded and get headed home, my co-driver and i pull over to double check the local directions, and whatnot before we get to our exit, as we're taking off an IL state trooper pulls up in front of us with his lights on.

Asking us all these weird questions in a fast manner, as if trying to catch us in a lie. Telling us he can make our lives hell if we don't cooperate, he can write us so many tickets we won't be able to see straight, and on top of it he said he would write the company a ticket, never did tell us why.

He asked numerous times why we pulled over, and i told him i had pulled over to double check our directions, and to do a load check. He asked why i would do a load check when i'm only 4 miles from where i need to be, my reply was becuase i check my load EVERY time i stop, and that alot can go wrong in four miles... Most accidents actually occur within 10 miles of the pickup-drop point. He thought i was getting smart. Asks if we've ever been to jail before, we tell him (I never have, but my co-driver was arrested for something when he was like 16-17, he's 35 now) so we tell him the truth, he comes back and tells me that i lied to him, and that i had been arrested before (Wtf?) no, actually i never have. So he asks us for the 17th time "What do you have in the truck, anything i should no about?" We both reply no.

So they take our log-books and licenses back to the car and we sit there for a good half an hour, finally he comes back and asks us to follow him up to the flying hook in south beloit, so we comply. We follow him up there and park where he asks us to, and then he goes on to explain that we were waiting for the "Dogs".. The dogs i ask? "Yes, the dogs." he said they had called some dogs to sniff around the truck, and if the dogs diddn't find anything we would be free to go, and that he could care less about any other violations he might have seen as long as we are being honest about not having anything in the truck.... Uh, ok.. whatever.

Needless to say, they found nothing, and it was quite satisfying, but it did ruin about 3 hours of my day on a friday (ofcourse, as i was trying to get home)...No big deal, im sure they had some weird reason for doing what they did, just doing their job, so i really try not to get upset about such things, but what the hell? Out of nowhere ... I'm still not sure why he was so convinced that we had something.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I can see if i blew a scale, or did something really stupid, but all we did was pull over for a minute ... Safer than missing a turn or something, y'know?

Muleskinner and MoneyCat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. honor roll

honor roll Road Train Member

Mar 7, 2008
    NW OHIO
    I am sorry this had to happen to you I don't think it is right to do it

Muleskinner Thanks this.
  4. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    There has been alot of drug traffic on the interstate lately.

They have found several large amounts. It seems that sometimes they pull over and a car stops for the exchange, according to a friend who is a police officer.

Muleskinner Thanks this.
  5. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    I got hit a couple weeks ago in NM. A bunch of BS but of course they found nothing.

Muleskinner Thanks this.
  6. 379 Peterbilt

379 Peterbilt Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Man that blows. I would be PISSED. I have a deep hatred for that state (no offence roadmedic)....I have been pulled over in Illinios for such chickensheet reasons "randon inspection" , snow on my tail lights, while it's snowing out. But I cant say that I have ever been RAPED to the extent you experienced.

This is one of the reasons I always have a digital camera along with me. Had this BS happened to me, there would be bookoo pictures all over the 'net, with faces and names. That cop would become googlable beyond his wildest dreams, because I'd post it everywhere. Sounds like a real prick? Oh yeah, Illinios, nevermind..( again, no offence roadmedic)

Where exactly did you pull over? What MMer?

Muleskinner Thanks this.
  7. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Hey PB. I spray WD-40 on my lenses. THe LED lights do not put off enough heat to melt the snow.:biggrin_25525:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2008
  8. Brickman

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

That aint gonna work............. is it?

9. Brickman

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    I've heard that telling the cop that you got AIDS and if they catch any thing from your cab/sleeper you are not going to be responsible since they've been warned, works in keeping them out of your truck.

Muleskinner Thanks this.
  10. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Yeah, it is a good cleaner. Makes them shiny and repels water, ice, snow for awhile.

11. 379 Peterbilt

379 Peterbilt Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Good one no tarps

Anyway, It's obvious this dude was playing bad cop good cop all by himself. From the onset, he sets it up like you are going to prison just for pulling over. Then at the J he say if the dogs dont find anything, you're free to go and he'll forget about all those "other" charges, since you are such swell guys. I bet money he knew he was gonna call the K9 unit from the gitgo. All the other questioning where he pulled you over, was just part of the game

I have a hard time believing drug deals are made along the side of the interstate, btw. But I guess anything is possible.

Muleskinner Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.