So i had my truck searched on friday

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by eckz, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    A cop giving an inspection has no expectation of privacy and recording him (video or audio) would violate no laws.
    It is NOT illegal to video/audio record a cop.

Faber and shredfit1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pur48Ted

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Like I said, I know in GENERAL terms what I am "hauling", only because I know what business the SHIPPER is in. But I DO NOT (nor do I HAVE/NEED to) know exactly what I am hauling. Like I said; IF the super-trooper want's to inspect the freight, he is REQUIRED to call (either the SHIPPER or MY Company) FIRST. If he does NOT, he is in DEET SHIP. All HEEL will bust lose if he thinks he can simply open the trailer.

4. Pur48Ted

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    For example: pretend you pick up a load at a Del Monte refrigerated processing plant during FRUIT season....I know, that would be a stretch for some members here, but anyway, you MIGHT know that the load was processed fruit, but you wouldn't necessarily know the load was citrus cups, as opposed to orange juice. If asked what you had on board, you would satisfy the question (what are you hauling?) by stating PROCESSED FRUIT.
    NOW do you get it?

5. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    I just write "stuff" on my logs. :biggrin_25526:

6. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008

I'm glad you are such the authority but I think you need to go back to law school. It is illegal to audio tape anyone without their knowledge and consent, hence illegal wiretapping. That can come on a traffic stop. Why do you think when I stop someone I tell them you are being audio and visually recorded? Some states laws may differ but I know of one that is illegal to audio tape anyone without there consent. One of the guys I work with was taped and posted on you tube, which resulted in the video/audio taper being charged under the wiretap laws. So before you give such a broad statement of fact, you need to know all of the facts and laws everywhere. This is something DOT rules have nothing to do with. Kind of like concealed carry laws, they vary from state to state. :biggrin_25511:

7. Pur48Ted

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Nope it is NOT, in PUBLIC anyway.
    It might PIZZ them off, but it isn't illegal.
    Federal Wiretapping Laws ONLY regulate installing recording devices on phone lines or secreting them on private property, and do not include audio/video recording of someone IN PUBLIC, or on PUBLIC Property (such as a DOT Scale-House)

Faber Thanks this.
  8. MGASSEL

MGASSEL Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Co
    Seems like some of you cops are afraid of getting your arse busted for something you do or say to us truckers.

If I would ever get busted for illegal wiretapping for video tapeing a stop then I will sue for illgeal arrest, lost wages, and I am sure my lawyer could come up with 5-10 more things to add to that list.

Ps you are comming up to our home ie semi truck that we live in we have the right to protect ourself from some barney fife that is on a power trip to make sure our rights are protected.

Pur48Ted Thanks this.
  9. Pur48Ted

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Seems to me, several years ago there were problems at the Grapevine Scales on I-5 in California. It seems several of the Inspectors were intentionally damaging trucks in for inspections and taking kick-backs from the repair shops. Had been alleged to have going-on for many years.
    Grapevine was infamous for this.
    It was a trucking company (tired of getting tagged multiple times) that used a little technology and installed video cameras UNDER the truck and trailer that brought the feeding-frenzy to a halt.
    Sent a few inspectors to the BIG-HOUSE for extortion.

shredfit1 Thanks this.
  10. Faber

Faber Medium Load Member

Oct 11, 2008
    there's no expectation of privacy in public....there are camera's everywhere all the time....and I know cops whose cameras and recorders come on with their lights, they aren't required to tell anyone- nor would I be required to tell you on public property that I'm recording you. If you want to stay protected under 'wire-tap' laws....you better never leave your house or property.

11. Faber

Faber Medium Load Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Tell us, other then going to one states diesel bear cop school, what is your authority giving you indepth understanding of 'wire tap' laws?
    Is that something they go deep into, federal wire tap laws and it's use on public/private property, at diesel bear school?

Pur48Ted and shredfit1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.