So i had my truck searched on friday

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by eckz, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Highgear

Highgear Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Baltimore,Maryland
    I've been there at night though, sorry that happened to you, I wouldve been pissed too!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Snowman&Fred

Snowman&Fred Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa
    At the truck stop tonight, a driver was telling me about his 'bad day'. Didnt want me to charge him the 3% fee to cash a ComCheck. Anyways, he was telling me he picked up his first load, and 5 miles out of the city, got pulled over. He did so, for a DOT inspection. He then saw the officer motion for him to come to the back of the trailer, so he undid his seatbelt, and began to step out, when the officer ran up to him saying "HOLD IT, HOLD IT", ended up giving him a ticket for not wearing his seatbelt. He reported what happend, and somehow the company he works for is paying the $38 ticket.

Are troopers and DOT and whoever else really that 'out' to get truckers??? They looking for that minute infraction to bust a driver for a $100 ticket ?? I will be sure to have a video camera rolling the entire time. This is the reason why, when I go solo, I will have a webcam rolling and recording the whole time, as kind of a 'flight data recorder' like on an airplane.

4. animal control

animal control Medium Load Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Where I come From
    Yep , I been there and done that several times. Even had the bear in the air spotlight and all , All sorts of weapons drawn pointed at my head. Outa a clear cool nite with nuttin' happening.
    Where did you come frum ?.......or better yet.....Get a copy on this...
    If the fish would not have opened its mouth..??
    It would not ever been caught...
    But I 100% understand that in this case it appears eckz was in the rite place at the wrong time.
    Stuff Happens.
    May God Bless My Dad J.R.H. who was killed this day July 30, 1975 . R.I.P.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    You never know . They may have gotten a tip on a truck fitting the description of yours . I saw a "Cops" episode where they got a tip a certain car pulling a U-Haul was hauling drugs . They stopped the car , did a complete search and it was clean . They asked the guy if he knew why anybody would say he had drugs and he said "Yup" and called his ex-girlfriend while the cops listened . She started laughing and asked if he was held up long and said it was payback . The cops went right to her house and arrested her .

6. lyion

lyion Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2008
    TOANO VIRGINIA
    truckers need a litle book for us that get pulled over stating the law.we need to no what the cop troper are local or border cops can do and cant do . if we had this in our truck we could say hay you cant do that here it is in the book from the federal government and dot . there would be a lot less harassment i bet . the cops think they own the roads .there are some that are just trying to do there job ,but a lot or on ego trips that what to trow atharity at people any time they wont to . .if you heard the news a bout the cop that tazered a man on the grown 7 times then the guy couldnt get up so the cop picked him up put him in the user the later at the station he tryed to tell the guy to get up when the guy didnt move to get up from the back seet the cop tasered him 3 more times while the guy was in hand cufs . the man died. the cornor determaned that the cop killed him by tasering him to many times. the cops lawyer says he was in his rights to taser him . my opion is ,the cop nees to have it done to him nine times like he did that man and se how he likes it.tho i would never do any harm to a cop i think they over do it . its like there trained to emty there gun if they shoot some one . the suspect has no way of a tril buy jury . i hat cops .they break speeding laws every day . ive never sen a honst cop that went by the leter of the law and used comin sence. they just think there beter than us .i was a mussican for a good many years and played for them at dances years ago and we saw cops get in the cop cars there personal cars and drive away from the place we played for so drunk they couldnt even stand up . my fother was a mussican a guitar player .he to played for them once and told me they got so drunk more than normal people in clubs.

7. CURTWAYNE

CURTWAYNE Medium Load Member

Jun 4, 2008
    LITTLE ROCK, AR
    That officer needs to go to PRISON! He killed a man that was in his custody. Totally over the line.
    An Arkansas State Trooper shot and killed a mentally challenged young man, because the young man wouldn't take his hands out of his pockets. Surrounded by officers of different agencies, this poor young man didn't have a clue what was going on, nor what to do. The trooper just shot him. I believe that trooper went to prison. Should have given him the electric chair. That trooper was the only person who shot him. The other officers knew better.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008
  8. kene1024

kene1024 Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    The problem is, you are driving a commercial vehicle, not sitting in your home. The expectation of privacy is different in both places.

9. truckermario

truckermario Road Train Member

Sep 24, 2006
    As far as I'm concerned, my commercial vehicle IS my home. And even in cars, the occupant has limited privacy. Probable cause only applies in the occurance of a legal stop for another infraction or based upon clear suspicious/erratic behaviour provable by the trooper's dash cam. If a cop asks for consent to search your vehicle and you refuse, he's now legally bound to seek out alternate methods. At a check point or border crossing, he can turn you away, but he can't barge his way into your vehicle.

http://www.dallascriminaldefenselawyerblog.com/2008/06/can_i_search_your_car_lessons.html

I like this part.
    "Starting asking cops if you are free to leave. Cops hate this, but it is important."

10. CURTWAYNE

CURTWAYNE Medium Load Member

Jun 4, 2008
    LITTLE ROCK, AR
    I checked out that link provided by truckermario, and not once did I see anything concerning commercial vehicles.
    Do you have anything concerning commercial vehicles? Or, is that the best you can do?

11. truckermario

truckermario Road Train Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Well laaaaaaaaa dee daaaaaaaaaaaa. I only brought that up as a general point. You focused on the link and ignored everything else about my post? Same basic rules of privacy still apply. Unless the cop will physically call the company that owns the truck and ask for permission to search the truck. That's why I can't wait to own my own truck. I eat there. I sleep there. Until I'm notified otherwise, my truck is my house on the road. No warrant. No search. They can peak inside, but they can't open up glove boxes or cubby holes. The only places where I can reasonably expect a search is at check points and crossings into Canada or back into the US. Of course I could still refuse consent and be denied access across. No matter what, you always have the right to refuse consent. It throws a monkey wrench into the works and forces the cops to resort to other means or simply let you go. In my opinion the scope of probable cause needs to be narrowed and defined, but too many cops think they can write their own rules.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.