So I have my CDL but am a functionally incompetent trucker. Now what?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by They Call Me Miss Frizzle, Jul 8, 2020.

1. They Call Me Miss Frizzle

They Call Me Miss Frizzle Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2020
    I was in a Prius days before school

201 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. They Call Me Miss Frizzle

Jul 4, 2020
    That’s really helpful

4. They Call Me Miss Frizzle

Jul 4, 2020
    I
    have to admit that this was really encouraging and really helpful. I appreciate it.

5. They Call Me Miss Frizzle

Jul 4, 2020
    Amazing truck! Thanks!!

6. They Call Me Miss Frizzle

Jul 4, 2020
    Some of my issue is that I can get the miles in and my teammates so far pressure me not to back. I back maybe once a week if that. I did actually catch my teammate. He said I was just horrible at backing. But eventually he slipped and said he was where I was when he was at my experience level. So now I am going to back constantly and yes, I’m going to go by a truck today.

7. They Call Me Miss Frizzle

Jul 4, 2020
    I o
    i over thinking things and was nervous in school. I treated the test as a learning experience that I was doomed to fail. So... the one time I was less scared than everyone else I did well. Now I get no time to back and I’ve had some toxic team and training experiences that just got in my head. It’s mental. It takes forever and I’m embarrassed so I quit. I should not. But it is what it is.

8. They Call Me Miss Frizzle

Jul 4, 2020
    My straightlining sucked. I did worse on that than everything Else on the CDL. So I thought I was golden. No one mentioned “and now you will never offset or parallel again. Good for you.” So I admit I’m a baby trucker who watched all the yard jockeys moving like Beyoncé while I had a nerdy grade school 2 foot shuffle going on when I back. So I stared jealously for days. In fact I still stare when I’m being loaded. I eventually told an ex “ef it. I will keep cash on me and I will keep a push up bra. If I can’t back it in, someone somewhere will brake for boobs and a twenty or boobs or a twenty. I’m going to keep a solid hundred always just in case.” Lol. Redunk newbie actual reaction to Yard jockeys on the go.

Numb and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  9. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    it would have to be a warehouse that personally i'd recommend one out of business, and no gates to keep you out.

if you cannot find such, than that can be tough, as most operational warehouses, have locked gates, and security guards and cameras.

even an abandoned airport, shopping plaza may do.

it takes time to get proficent.

we all have our "time to tune" ourselves.

before you know it, you'll be more relaxed, rather than nervous. but you WILL ALWAYS BE CAREFUL...!!!!!!

once you stop being careful you are a danger.

10. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i taught truck driving backing skills.

you would not be alone in that
    it takes time. just go SLOWLY, and get out and look.....GOAL.

11. They Call Me Miss Frizzle

Jul 4, 2020
    I appreciate both sides of this argument. I can not argue with anyone passionate about safety and effort and hard work. I also really appreciate the desire of others to be encouraging to new truckers. For me I was passable at backing but it took forever. I had one teammate who spent my entire shift narrating how I would die or be murdered on the job. He had to take a 2 hour nap every shift to keep it up. A yard jockeys literally had to tell him “no. I’m not here to murder her because it took her more than 4 minutes” twice. I’ve met every toxic driver out here. It’s a hard job. I’m not bottom of the barrel. I’ve got common sense for days. I got into truck driving because...I had an ex who was a trainer that I was still friends with. I was a deans list nursing student. I injured my back. I needed to switch jobs to save for the next semester. I truly believed that I could go to any trucking school and 2 weeks later I would be awesome at this and he would think it was the sexiest thing ever and I was awesome. One week in I was crying to a instructor “that man must have cared about me more than I realized because he never told me how bad I am at any of this.” We actually started dating again because of that but I don’t want to quit trucking until I’m good at it. And I cannot ask him for help because I’m only sexy in a truck that is not moving that I haven’t backed.” Lol.

201 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.