So I took a broker load today and tryed this .

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by bzinger, Oct 19, 2017.

1. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    I wonder how long it will be before a broker is subpoenaed to testify as to the whereabouts of a given truck that was being tracked using the broker's app. Think about the consequences of that. The day is coming when somebody will know the location, size, and time of your last dump in ole McDonald's corn patch.
    If all parties were willing to pay for good instead of cheap tracking wouldn't be necessary.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    The broker won't be subpoena'd. The app company will. That will be happening in every trucking related criminal investigation. Remember it's far from certain that they'll be tracking the drivers phone.

4. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    My money says the broker will be subpoenaed. He told the trucker to use the app. I don't like the idea of the broker having to go to court. It is just more lawyer BS.
    Why would the app company be subpoenaed? That would be the same as an auto maker being dragged into court because an idiot killed people using the car they made. Or the gun manufacturers being taken to court because Jo Blo used their gun to kill someone. BTW. I think it is wrong for the maker of anything having to go to court because what they made wasn't used as intended. My last sentence is problematic because guns are used in war but I think you will get my point.

5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    The broker was the one tracking the load, keeping tabs on its progress, NOT the app company. The broker was the one that could have called the driver to say "This load hasn't stopped for 13 hours, so I know you aren't compliant", not the app company. Look at it this way: The app company is Ford. The broker is the bar. Dispatch is the bar tender. When a drunk leaves a bar, gets into his car, and kills a family on their way home from church, who gets sued?

By actively tracking the loads and knowing the HOS, it is only a matter of time before a lawyer puts 2 & 2 together and comes after you when one of your tracked trucks blatantly disregards the HOS and you did nothing about it because they were going to deliver on time (until they mowed down that family).

bigguns and nax Thank this.
  6. Broker Bill

Broker Bill Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2017
    The reply above is the very heart of this matter and why the software was created. It is the customers who pay the bills (Walmart, Schreiber, Tyson, etc.) that are demanding that this software be used. I have been a broker, worked for a couple of asset based companies and now own a small brokerage.
    Carriers that I can "1 call" and never hear from again are great but are also like like unicorns. BUT...for every carrier like "Dave_in_AZ" there are 200 with LESS than these "standards". Brokers CANNOT do their jobs without carriers like the ones in this group. Also, most carriers (more than would admit it) cannot stay in business without brokers. They will not/cannot get their own customers so they need ours. It's only business and if MOST carriers were better business people and less worried about being screwed by "the man", we'd all get along famously. That's my $.02 and it gets you a free cup of coffee in our break room...but then it's free anyway!
    Be safe out there...

p608 Thanks this.
  7. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    That about sums up your entire FIRST POST ever....lmao

You know why carriers worry about this? coz that's what brokers do. Their default position is "screw this carrier coz that's what we do to survive"....Hey! it's only business, Remember?

No one looks out for number 1, except number 1...so I take your post above with a WHOLE SACK OF SALT

8. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    I think something that's missed by many carriers, is that utilizing brokers as a "necessary evil" doesn't entitle them to backdoor said brokers customers to "get over on the man".
    While I don't primarily use brokers, generally it hasn't appealed to me to attempt to take their customers anyway. Reasons for that aside: plenty of carriers don't recognize that taking a brokered load doesn't mean that that load will pay significantly less than others loads that one could get direct on the same lane.

Plenty of shippers are cheap. Plenty of brokers have cheap freight. Cutting out the middleman to get direct with a cheap direct customer doesn't really get you ahead. Getting 100% of a cheap rate is still cheap work.
    If you manage to deal with a consummate professional, and offer the same in return: you can do notably better on the occasions that you work together with a broker. Ie most shippers in my area are mediocre at best on local rates, most brokers have to sell price bc of that. I have some relatively decent customers imo and fill in with occasional broker work. The freight I get from brokers pays at least what I'd get from my regular customers. I get what I want for a rate, they get what they want on top of that. We both offer impeccable service.

Should I be mad the broker made money "off of my hard work" or accept that I made the same kind of money I'd have made doing something else?

Brokers call on my posted equipment all the time.. I ignore almost all of them bc it says right on the posting "text ## or email @.com" if they can't bother to follow those directions...
    Now, I don't need their work and therefore if they don't have something I would want: I pass.

I don't care if a broker makes 10,30,50,90% of what I make, or even more. I want what I want, that number has to get met for me to take it.

E.g. I get $1500 on 400 total miles from a direct customer today, from my yard to my yard. Not awesome; Just another day. Now if I can get $1500 on 300 miles from my yard to my yard from a broker, should I complain that they made some money? Why? It would technically be more profitable than what I might have done direct.

If someone offers me cheap work: I turn it down. Doesn't matter if it's a broker or a shipper or receiver etc. conversely, if someone offers me good paying work I am interested and will see what I can do, broker or direct. Bc it doesn't matter to me if someone else involved gets a piece, so long as I get my piece.

100% of $100 is $100
    70% of $150 is $105

wore out, PPDCT, Scooter Jones and 3 others Thank this.
  9. W9onTime

W9onTime Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2017
    I'm thinking of being a broker or agent for my own trucks loads....
    That way I can just screw myself and cut out the middle man

nax Thanks this.
  10. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
  11. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Man, @W9onTime - I found your company logo!

[​IMG]

nax Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.