So it's the Shippers pushing for Elog??

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by OLDSKOOLERnWV, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    People who own Qualcomm and people net are the people pushing for E logs.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    During my all-to-brief time in the office, I actually saw shippers yank freight off e-log carriers and ship it out on paper log trucks due to time constraints.

Fact of the matter is paper log carriers offer shippers far, far more flexibility in scheduling that e-logs. Sorry, with apologies to Cardinal's management team (not really), I call BS on this.

Toomanybikes Thanks this.
  4. rcelmo

rcelmo Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Too many years ago when Werner was first going to e-logs I met
    a Werner driver. I asked how the e-logs were working for Werner.
    He claimed that Werner had a number of drivers who were running
    paper logs. Whenever they got a hot load they would give that one
    to a paper log driver.

Often wondered if his story was true. He claimed he was one of the
    paper log guys......

Loose Leaf Thanks this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I'm not buying it. Most mid-large carriers have dozens of available trucks to repower a load at any given geographical point. A small operator on the other hand, paper or otherwise, if they have issues enroute, the load stops for the duration of the issue.

There's something to be said for paper and the 800 mile load that needs to be there overnight or 16 hours later but these are the exception. And was probably a cheap load anyway hence nobody wanted it early on so piss on those shippers.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    EZ Money and DoubleO7 Thank this.
  6. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I was dealing with strictly regional, pock up today and drop it tonight or first thing in the morning type freight. Not major OTR stuff. If the truck broke down, it was going to be an issue regardless of carrier size. Even Swift needs a few hours to re-route a truck to repower a load off a breakdown.

passingthru69 Thanks this.
  7. Driver91

Driver91 Medium Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    I been in talks with a local company, has about 15-20 trucks about a job. He don't get many openings, his drivers stay. But he is on paper logs. I ask him what his plans were at the end of the year. He told me he was staying on paper, that he wasn't spending the money to add elogs. I was confused by this. Is there a way to not have to go to them? I hate to take a job and then be out of work come dec.
    I'm happy where I am just thought it would be nice to work for a smaller carrier. He is out and straight back carrier. Which that no real change in what I do now.

passingthru69 Thanks this.
  8. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    Does he fall within the 100 air mile rule?

9. Driver91

Jun 28, 2015
    Lol no, he hauls furniture out of North MS, to NC and FL and picks up general freight back to north MS or deadheads home. He seems sure he isn't gonna have to do it. But I'm kinda scared to take the job even though it's a good gig. And about 1/2 mile from my house.

10. mp4694330

mp4694330 Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Chicagoland
    Unless his fleet is 99 or older, currently no way around it.

Loose Leaf Thanks this.
  11. Driver91

Jun 28, 2015
    No all his trucks are 2013 or new petes and KW. He told me something about the state senators are telling him they are passing an exception for small business truckers. I would really like to go to work for this guy I just don't wanna be out of work a week before Christmas if you know what I mean. And also don't wanna leave the gravy job I got now just to have to go crawling back lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.