So many are starting up?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Beaver9, Apr 12, 2024.

1. Beaver9

Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

Jun 15, 2020
    Why am I seeing so many new entrants in today's economy?

TheLoadOut Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opendeckin

Opendeckin Medium Load Member

May 20, 2018
    I'm guessing the AB5 regulations and ones similar to it are forcing leased on guys to get their own authority.

4. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I doubt most of them speak much English and not long ago were not in this country. Extremely few people with any experience at all are getting their own authority right now that I’m aware of.

5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Where do you see that?

86scotty and Concorde Thank this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I think a more alarming stat is how many are quitting. It's a foreigners job bonanza, doors open folks, we need drivers, and here we are.

7. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    not going to lie I’ve been kicking around the idea since my accident, but when it comes down to it I don’t know how I can see myself doing anything else, keep going until something really pisses me off I guess

8. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Never been able to figure why guys have it in the minds ‘I don’t know anything else’ or ‘It’s all I can do’ or best yet ‘I never done anything else’. Really guys(and gals) never done anything else? Never pushed a lawn mower? Never swung a hammer? Never worked around livestock? Baled hay? Worked on plumbing in your house? Painted? All sorts of things one can do if you set your mind to it. Hunger is a great motivator.

jamespmack, Beaver9, Siinman and 5 others Thank this.
  9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    For some of us we actually enjoy trucking. It's what we do and who we are. I wouldn't be happy in any other line of work. I dont want to push a lawn mower or swing a hammer. I can do those things and for sure if I was cut off entirely from being able to truck I would do something but I wouldn't be happy. Do you know how many people muddle through life and absolutely hate their jobs? A lot. Not me.

10. Opendeckin

Opendeckin Medium Load Member

May 20, 2018
    I've found that there's things trucking gives me I just can't get doing anything else and realizing that has made me more grateful to have it rather than constantly begrudging it like i used to. Just a few of the benefits are...

- no coworker drama or micro managing. If you've ever dealt with this you know how amazing it is to not have to deal with it.

- only work when I feel like it.(this is really hard to find)

- financial stability. Because of trucking and my financial savvy I could spend YEARS at home or on vacation at any given time and be fine financially. In that sense in my early 30s I'm already retired because any day I go to work it's for no other reason than I felt like going to work and not to fill some immediate financial need.

- the views. Just this week I got to cruise around the sandhills of western Nebraska on 2 lanes and see the sunrise over the northern Kansas Hills. When I was OTR I got to see some of the highest peaks of the rockies and the swamps of FL. The sunset setting over the sunflowers in Texas and the sunrise in Big Sky Montana and on and on and on... lol

I'm sure different jobs could beat trucking at these features individually, but I've yet to find another line of work that can give me all this in the aggregate.

11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ve always
    I’ve always been a jack of all trades. Done a little bit of everything. Always considered Trucking a choice. Plenty of crappy jobs like you mentioned available. There’s a big difference between doing a remodel on your own house and being able to knock out a job in record time. Ever see a good paint crew, dry wall hangers, Finishers, rough carpenters, roofers work? One day boom they’re done. I’ve done all those jobs. Painted garages in my neighborhood at 14 yrs old. The Trades are good. Hopefully after a lifetime of hard labor, learning and experience, someone can become a Supervisor, do less manual labor. Truckings different. Except for becoming a Trainer or School instructor, any experience is only good as long as you can still drive. After years of driving it’s not easy to jump right into something else, and make a comparable living. It’s possible. Anything’s possible. But is it worth it? Unless it’s self employment, who’s going to hire a Truckdriver before an experienced Tradesman. Would you hire a 38 year Plumber, spend time and money, train him to drive, or put him in charge of a fleet, before a 38 year Trucker who can jump in and immediately start making you money, without any guidance? As far as office work at a Trucking Company, Except for a Terminal Manager, they all make less than the Drivers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.