So, what's it like living in a truck?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by crimedoc96, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    I can't stop laughing enough to post.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mattress Monkey

Mattress Monkey Medium Load Member

Feb 1, 2013
    On a good day spending time in the trk is like a small prison cell not unlike prison some days you talk to no one and some days people wont shut up.On bad days it like being in prison in solitary confinment (WITH THE CURTAINS CLOSED) ARRRRGGG!!!

4. JIMROY

JIMROY Medium Load Member

Feb 15, 2013
    ESCONDIDO CALIFORNIA
    Lol , never thought about it like that

5. DXN1EL

DXN1EL Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2012
    McAllen, TX
    I herd if you get frustrated you can always pick a chick and have some good time

6. JIMROY

JIMROY Medium Load Member

Feb 15, 2013
    ESCONDIDO CALIFORNIA
    You don't need a truck or to be a driver to pick up a chick and have a good time...

7. fisher guy

fisher guy Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    i love it always have even when i was regional and could be home every night i still stayed out now i stay out 4-5 weeks then im usually ready to go home but until then during the week i go trucking 14-15 hrs straight on the weekends i relax take in the sights maybe stop at a chrome shop or 2 its nice i sleep better in the big truck then i ever did at home

overfloater Thanks this.
  8. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

After I quit USA and got a new aparment one of the first things I tried to do was lay out a sleeping bag in the closet. (but it was too darn small)

I got used to the confined space and more imporantly the total darkness mid day. Windows in bedrooms are over-rated.

I'm not really OTR anymore, sort of quasi-regional. I work local about 3 weeks a month and maybe do one or two trips of a few days.

Right now I just hate slip seating, nothing skevier than knowing you're sharing a matress with other drivers. My regular ride's a day cab and some times we use 6 wheeler B-trucks for smaller loads. But the lease is up on my unit this summer and I'm hoping my boss gets me a single-bunk.

(I only go out a few days at a time, not for weeks like other guys here)

So I'm home every night and a few times a month I get a little room to myself. I don't keep much in my truck since I'm always hot-swapping with other drivers. I bring a book, comic books, or a magazine. I have a 2 year old at home so I can't read much in the house anymore. If I can stay awake for more than a chapter after driving all day that's about it. Maybe my next computer (or phone at this rate) will have wireless internet capabilites. I had a laptop in the truck when I was OTR but it's become the default home machine when the batteries started dying within 10 minutes.

overfloater Thanks this.
  9. rbyers25

rbyers25 Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2013
    I would have to agree with some of the drivers on this topic. I, personally, am not a driver. I am a wife of a trucker. I have gone out on the road with him. It all goes to how your attitude is towards it. It is what you make of it. And as far as being a silly question, its not. I was always curious as to what it looked like inside of a truck myself. Well, now I know. The only thing in the sleeper is a bed and some shelf space, at least most of them. Some of them have other things in it. But some of the owner operators have stuff built into it. It varies for the driver. Every thing else is what you yourself put in there to make it more "suitable" for you. There are drivers that have t.v.s, weights, books, laptops, just what ever entertains them. And cant forget the clothes, and shower necessities.Of course they have there clothes and shower stuff so that way when they have time, and near a truck stop with shower facilities, they can take a shower when at all possible. Its just how you make of it.

10. thecleaninglady

thecleaninglady Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Grass Valley California
    My Hubby and I team drive, we has our truck set up real sweet! He even bought a remnant of carpet and laid it down, We had a fridge, microwave, coffee pot we took a TV tray and put it behind the passenger seat so that we could have an extra little table for paperwork and such. That was how we set up our first truck. We have now decided to go low maintenance. Just our clothes and basic necessities. The best thing we invested in was a temper pedic foam topper for the mattress. It cushioned the bouncing around because of the darn bumpy roads!

JIMROY Thanks this.
  11. Slackertankeryanker

Slackertankeryanker Bobtail Member

May 7, 2013
    Elkhart, IN.
    Well my sleeper is 86" deep, Its my bedroom, kitchen, livingroom, office. I enjoy it. Ive got my tv with digital ant., my laptop, microwave, electric skillet, cooler for food, oh ya and dvd player. Most of what I need, no bathroom or shower. Still have to goto the truckstops for some things. I stay out 2-4 weeks at a time. It is what you make of it. I do my own cooking, and yes dishes to,( wash dishes with baby wipes and paper towels ) Its not a bad life but its not for everyone. Hope this helps

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.