So, what's it like living in a truck?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by crimedoc96, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Oh I'm always amused at what gets censored here.

Among my other internet interests there's a toy forum I frequent and even THEY are more tolerant of naughty words. (Though it does seem it's the youngsters that like to throw around f-bombs like firecrackers)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Truck driver Jackson

Truck driver Jackson Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2018
    It is amazing living in a semi truck. Actually more comfortable bed than at a house or any hotel bed. I have all of my #### with me in my rig. I have my PS4, microwave, and a clothes cabinet. So yeah, it is my amazing apartment. I eat and sleep in my truck. Also, it is more cheaper than a house. All you have to pay for your truck is gas.

4. Infosaur

Especially when you get a new one as the fleet rolls over and you never share it with anyone. :D

Not so much if you're slip seating with a pig man who uses p bottles, doesn't believe in trash bags, buys every cheap Chinese made doohickey at the chrome shop but can't be bothered to report a repair, fill the oil, DEF, or fuel tank.:mad:

I'm glad I'm in the former category. :cool:

5. LateNightCable

LateNightCable Light Load Member

Feb 16, 2018
    I lived out of an old GMC conversation van for a few years once upon a time. Low top, not high top, and I’m 6’6”. It wasn’t bad most of the time, and it was cozy. Some of my best sleeps ever were in that van, and despite the distinct lack of headroom, it felt somewhat palatial with a folding rear bench and dual captains chairs.

That said, in a working OTR situation I think I’d prefer a 70” studio sleeper type of deal, especially for the extra vertical space. But pretty much every sleeper for a long time has been a rolling minimalist palace compared to the coffin sleepers of old, with no a/c, no fridge, no nothing.

People talk about how long-haul trucking isn’t very attractive to many these days, well the old days *really* required a certain breed to live out of those things.

Bookhacker Thanks this.
  6. Infosaur

If anything I have too much space.

I run local/regional and I'm only out 4-6 nights a month.

But it's nice to have the option, when you wake up at zero dark thirty to get to a shipper who makes you wait 4 hours anyway, of getting a quick nap. I've seen day cab guys slumped over the steering wheel. Noooo thank you.

A coffin bunk would be fine for me.

7. 2Girls_1Truck

2Girls_1Truck Medium Load Member

May 18, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I drive team now, so literally only in the bunk for sleeping or a bit of reading and then 11 hours of driving.

When I was a single driver, I had a tv, laptop and electric guitar (and 2 cats). I was never short of entertainment for extended waits at a customer, or something to while away the hours.

Unless I was working nights, at which point I usually needed a bit more sleep (especially in winter when I would wake after sunset and sleep before sunrise). Working days, I only sleep 6-7 hours which gave me a fair bit of time to myself on my 10 hours off.

I try to avoid the truck stops except for fuel and showers, since the food (even the homemade stuff) is a disaster for my health, and 20-something women hanging around the lounges generate unwanted attention. Plus, I don’t care enough about wrestling to sit and watch that on tv.

8. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Triple Digit Bullhauler Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    Living in a truck depended up what room the sleeper is, and the accessories one has inside. If a truck has a refrigerator, Microwave, Flat screen television, inverter for coffee pot (if u drink coffee) CD player/radio, and a CB. Life is what you make it in trucking. Like in life, there are times to be serious, and also a time to loosen those ### cheeks to have fun.

9. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Triple Digit Bullhauler Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    That is why i love my big sleeper trucks. All amenities of home, and my fleet of 70" + sleepers all have those accessories put in by me. I try to make life enjoyable for my drivers. Thus, eliminating those expenses for the drivers.

10. Infosaur

Well I can't say you're wrong, (except the TV, it always seems to be on NCIS or Law & Order) but that just fuels the fantasy that there's some hidden spot in the woods where all the young, under 300# female truck drivers congregate.

Because either I'm so tired I'm oblivious, or I just don't see any female drivers at the stops. People ask me "why aren't there any female drivers?!?" (Like *I'M* the one holding them back?) and I'm like, "they do exist,,,, somewhere."

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.