So who drove that used truck your getting ready to buy??

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by OLDSKOOLERnWV, Feb 21, 2017.

1. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia

Might have been this guy in the Cummins 444 / Cat 600 debate. Lot of these drivers out there, at least mentality wise. Be safe out there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    Jesus, that was painful to watch.... poor transmission.

4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Two words.

Extensive test drive, and thorough picking through the maintenance records. I'm a firm believer in Penske for a used truck, because they are maintenance FREAKS, and you can buy a 2 year warranty very reasonable.

If any of these things are not available, run away screaming.

Lepton1, SoDel and OLDSKOOLERnWV Thank this.
  5. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I don't believe them fellers is from these parts

1johnb, Lepton1, bzinger and 8 others Thank this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Well at least they have fun at work

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  7. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Funny story...

Before I got this truck I looked at another one when the deal on the FLD fell through. Guy had it advertised for $9500. I thought what the hell, 2001 Columbia with a drop axle. Pulled up and started to walk around the truck, got to the driver's door and saw a port of Tacoma sticker on there. I got back in my pickup before I got anything on me and drove away.

Well two months later the guy that I had quit my job of three years to drive for (lasted three weeks) bought the truck. I still talk to his other driver from time to time. He got put into this truck because his blew up and the boss bought this one to replace his.

He spent a week fixing a bunch of wiring issues, including the plug on the truck and pigtail melted and fused together.

Maiden run the brake lights and high beams quit working. OK that is fixed. Tires seem to have flat spots as nothing stays in place in the sleeper. And, yesterday after unloading the front end starts to go bonkers on him. Gets to a shop to find out the shaft that connects to the pitman arm moves 1/8" vertically in the steering box.

I am soooo glad I walked away when I saw that sticker.

8. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    And you thought the white Volvo crowd from Chicago was bad! That guy isn't even wearing flip flops!

9. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    I was just laying here thinking of these types of drivers. Just listened to a "throttle blipper" sit at the approach waiting for traffic. And as he pulled out, he gave it a good, solid 1200 rpm and let out the clutch in 4th I'm guessing. Probably wears fingerless leather driving gloves and has Red Bull on tap in the cab because he's EXTREME.

OLDSKOOLERnWV, Bean Jr. and wore out Thank this.
  10. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    You have no idea how much I wanted to reach through the screen, grab him by the neck, and shake him till his toe nails fell off! ;):mad::eek: Did you notice his drink? Not sure if it was warm or cold lol....:D

11. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    I'm speechless......... WTF? I must of cringed at least 12 times before I had to turn it off.

Crude Truckin' and OLDSKOOLERnWV Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.