So... Who Taught You To Drive?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MountainStangs, Nov 6, 2010.

1. lego1970

lego1970 Medium Load Member

Oct 10, 2008
    Blue Springs, Missouri
    At 18 I was in the military where I drove duece n halfs and 5 tons which helped me get used to diesels and operating bigger vehicles off road.

Most of my learning came after the military at age 21. I worked for my friends, Parents Trucking company working the docks. During the day I would go out on the lot and figure out how to shift and spot trailers. At night sometimes I would sneak a semi truck out and drive around Memphis.

Also during that time I would do tree work where I learned how to run bucket trucks and 10 wheeler pickers/grapple trucks, again most of it off road.

Even though I pretty much taught myself with the help of other drivers at my friends parents company and from being in the military, for insurance reasons I had to take a driving course in 1997 to aquire my Class A and go OTR. It was good because I learned a lot that I couldn't of taught myself.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
  4. rjones56

rjones56 Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    staunton va
    Started driving as soon as I could see over the hood.If it had wheels or tracks I wanted to drive it.As a teen worked on a farm with lots of equipment,learned lots-i.e.-ALWAYS close the lid on the manure spreader BEFORE you engage the pto.
    Drove a schoolbus at 17 before VA got smarter.Drove 10wheelers and local before going on road.First OTR put me with their senior driver until he thought I was ready.My first shift driving he got in sleeper and I didn`t see him for the next few hours.He always asked how tall is the trailer,how long is the trailer,how much does it weigh.Would have me map imaginary routes using an atlas and scale/underpass book until I felt like choking him as did everyone else he trained.We were getting paid 200 a week and he got mileage for all miles.At the time I thought I stayed with him too long (3 weeks),but after getting out on my own I realized how much I still needed to and continue to learn.Got to thank him 25+ years later for all he taught me.
    Worked for a logging company whose owner would point to a truck and tell his employees to bring it to the shop,then drive off leaving them to figure it out.They always made it home in one piece.lol
    You pay for your education one way or another...

5. rbht

rbht Heavy Load Member

Jan 23, 2010
    CT,NH
    Self taught, when i was a kid my grandfather would through me in the seat of his old LJ Mack and tell me this is the clutch thats the brake and gas is on the right have fun, i drove that truck up and down the dirt rd by his house for years untill my father put in his R model at 16 hauling dirt local no cdl but you could get away with it back, then at 18 went to dmv took the driving test and got my class1 which is what is was called then no written test just a driving test.

6. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    Possessing a Ga. Class 5,I was actually just placed in a truck and told to take off in about 1985.I vividly recall ducking as i went under overpasses while driving that 1983 Freightliner cab over that did not have power steering but would keep up w/most trucks.Could not back but neither could the driver that I asked to back for me at my first ever delivery point.It must have been the lack of power steering.Imagine asking someone to back for you today or just climbing up into a truck and told to get going as the load needed to get there.
    Whew.What a ride time has presented over the years since-

7. dewssox79

dewssox79 Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Antioch, illinois
    coca cola. in illinois i was able to be trained by them and also tested by them, i dont know if they still continue to do so since it was a long time ago, but that is who taught me. They made us feel very comfortable

8. TNPRIDE1066

TNPRIDE1066 Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2009
    TRENTON ,GA
    My oldest brother was an o/o , i can remember be 11 or 12 and riding with him out west durring summer breaks ,and going through nevada,arizona, new mexico, he'd show me how do drive in the desert ..that was great times and memories of early trucking for me..

9. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    CDL-wise, I went to a local school and did the Swift mentor thing after. I started out in the 105,500 division here in the pacific nw, so I got used to shifting and handling snowy hills quick. As someone said earlier, running heavy is a fast teacher.

My old man taught me to drive in the beginning. His idea of a perfect training vehicle was the 1962 Chevy 1/2 ton truck. The old gal had a 327 V8, a muncie rock crusher 4spd. No power steering, no power brakes, no abs, and only a lap belt to hold you down.... He'd make me stop on a steep hill on gravel and you had to take off without spinning the tires or stalling. He also kept a 1/2 full coffee cup on the dash; spill it and you fail. Needless to say, I learned how to make it smooth.:biggrin_2559: Later on he taught me all the fancy stuff he'd learned from being a cop in LA.

10. Merlin1477024

Merlin1477024 Light Load Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Katy, Texas
    Drove first 1.5 ton in USAF 50 yds and instructor signed off said, "You can drive!"

Got out of AF and drove small 20 ft bobtail delviery van for drug store. They expanded and leased a White Road Commander, no PS, but had sure guide steering springs. Warehouse manager taught me to drive in an 8 hour trip.

Stayed in retail delivery for year in tractor trailer.

Went back to work for warehouse manager in new job hauling crude oil, which is a fabulous gig!

Fell in love with tanker work, and trying to get back to it ASAP.

Lots of cool stories about the topic.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.