So ya wanna drive a day cab. (The beginners company guide to ltl)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by FlaSwampRat, Sep 18, 2019.

1. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I figured I would start a thread where guys can explain a lil of what to expect if you came to work at their companies. This isn't meant for recruitment but for informative purposes. Hours, rules, experience needed, etc. This could be a good source of info for new guys and/or otr guys ready to trade in the land yacht for a single stack Mack with a window in the back.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    im too lazy. otr for life.

4. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I'll go first. I work for a coca cola bottler. We take inexperienced guys such as have a license and never used it/fresh out of school/never ran delivery before. We only have 10 speeds so an auto restriction is a disqualification, the trucks are older but they are in the process of buying new ones (which will continue to be 10 speed). While definitely not the highest paying job out there it is super laid back so that's the trade off. Go out and don't hit anything and empty the trailer out and you won't even exist in Management's eyes which I think is a beautiful thing. Nobody seems to work nights so if you don't mind it you can jump right on a line haul like I did or if you like switching things up they will also let you do that. I do delivery some weeks, linehaul others so nothing ever gets boring. Technically it's slip seating but they do try to pair you with a truck but it's not guaranteed. No dash cams, no speed limiters (trucks are slow tho lol), no elogs in a lot of cases. As much overtime as you as you can legally work if you want it. If you do not have a CDL. You get a job as a driver helper for 10 months where you learn the job and twords the end of that you get a permit and start learning the job by actually doing it. Then you go test in one of the trucks and get your ### out there delivering... Easy peasy lemon squeezy! In my personal opinion if you want a CDL this is the way to go so you don't owe anyone or a company any time or money because you already did it as a helper all while getting paid. As a helper I would be will to bet you would bring home more money than a lot of starter otr companies and once you start driving you will be bringing home a hell of a lot more than those companies. That being said I would look at my company as a beginner ltl company due to the lower pay $21/hr to start but it's a good fit for me. I retired from UPS and made WAY more than I do now but also had to put up with a bunch of crap, here I just go play truck driver and get a paycheck without my boss even knowing my name.... priceless.

Forgot this. We do not have an extra board. Once hired you will be working five days a week and can work a 6th if you have available hours and want more overtime.

5. truckdriver31

Sep 18, 2013
    i did try it for 3 months tho. linehaul at night. i did love pulling a set tho. the rest is for the birds. stay up all day just to call in at 11pm to find out if i got work. they gave me 2 hours to report to work if i was needed. that 4:30am-until the sun was up. just plain sucked

6. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Thanks for the reminder lol. We don't have an extra board. Your hired, you work every day.

Texas_hwy_287 and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  7. truckdriver31

Sep 18, 2013
    so whats the difference between red classic and coke cola bottling company. why are there still too companys

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  8. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Coca cola as in the 100 year old company does not do any distribution or bottling anymore. They sold it all off to private bottlers like I work for. The only thing they do now is make the syrup that we use to make the sodas.

9. truckdriver31

Sep 18, 2013
    wm gets all them cheap drinks from cott beverages

Mike2633 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  10. truckdriver31

Sep 18, 2013
    yea but you still see there trucks driving around.

Mike2633 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  11. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    You can't tell em apart.
    This is mine, at 80mph running down the highway it looks like every other coke truck. IMG_20190830_023536623.jpg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.