So you NEED to pull over to the side of the road?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lepton1, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    So you NEED to pull over to the side of the road? Notice I put the emphasis on NEED? The shoulder of the road is for EMERGENCY parking only. You better be having an emergency to use it. It isn't for pee breaks or taking a 30.

Out west there are PLENTY of safe places to get well off the road. But in spite of this fact all TOO often I see drivers not using their noggin. You need to have a plan to be able to SAFELY get back up to freeway speed and merge into traffic. Way too often I see clueless drivers, without thinking in advance, forcing themselves to merge into traffic before they get into high range.

This is sheer IDIOCY.

Here are some classic boners:

1. Pulling over at the very END of an on ramp. What's your plan now? Do you REALLY think you can get up to highway speed in two truck lengths with a full load?

2. Pulling over on a blind curve. How in the WORLD are you PLANNING to pull out when you can't see the eight trucks taking up both lanes bearing down on you?

3. Pulling over in the middle of a steep uphill. How EXACTLY are you planning to get to highway speed?

4. Pulling over just BEFORE an entrance ramp. Great! Now you have to deal with blind side merging into the entrance ramp and/or force your way into the travel lane. Great choice!

5. Pulling over on the shoulder just BEFORE an exit off ramp. This is at the 9th level of stupid. Folks have been killed running into the back of a parked truck before they start reducing speed. Bonus stupid points for the idiots that merge straight across the off ramp into the travel lane without taking the off ramp.

If I am ever on the shoulder of the road, it's a ###### emergency. I need to secure my load, get a bee out of the cab, I hit a large animal, or my truck up and died. Reflective triangles get placed PROPERLY within a few minutes (yes Mr. Waddle, this means that last triangle MUST involve a long walk).

If it's only a SLIGHT emergency, like needing to piss, I WAIT until there's a good, safe place to pull over WELL off the road WITH PLENTY OF SIGHT LINES TO SEE TRAFFIC A MILE BEHIND ME, on level ground or a down slope, with PLENTY of room in front of me to accelerate BEFORE I merge into the travel lane.

Have a plan, work the ####ing plan.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Well said Lepton. I agree completely.....only to add, pulling onto the shoulder and then pulling out into an interstate where people are going 65 mph, without building up any speed. Like they're pulling away from the curb in front of their house.

4. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Thanks and I will add one more thing about my "plan" for merging, even coming on from an on ramp:

I don't care if it's Prime that gets over to let me merge. I DON'T get up to my preferred speed UNTIL Prime passes me and has a chance to get back over. It keeps traffic flowing. I bide my time behind Prime, wait for traffic to clear, then get over and blow his doors off.

It's the courteous and safe thing to do.

magoo68, jammer910Z, d281833 and 42 others Thank this.
  5. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    1. Don’t underestimate this sweet International with an Eaton Ultrashift.

2.Just like everyone else, I will pull out regardless of what’s coming,

3.I’m gonna do it slowly, provided the Hill Assist releases.

4.Thanks, I’m glad someone noticed!

5.I guess I need to stop doing this, since you called it stupid twice.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    ???, Eldiablo, Itsbrokeagain and 11 others Thank this.
  6. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    That's pretty much a richard move not letting trucks back over after they moved over to let you merge.

D.Tibbitt, InTooDeep, Dennixx and 12 others Thank this.
  7. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Yeah, I think my next thread will be "The Compleate Richard's Guide To Trucking".

???, Bean Jr., InTooDeep and 5 others Thank this.
  8. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
  9. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Richard's Rules for Proper Highway Ediket, Volume 1, Truckers Edition

D.Tibbitt, kemosabi49, 91B20H8 and 4 others Thank this.
  10. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Very Good Lepton- I Like your driving Habits- Your gonna be one of us, Very Courteous yet Smart Driver- We need more folks like you

11. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.