So you NEED to pull over to the side of the road?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lepton1, Aug 26, 2019.

1. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    [QUOTE="Lepton1,

Then today I am eastbound over Tehachapi Pass. These weren't drivers on the side of the road, these were drivers deciding to yank over into the passing lane on an 8% uphill going 35 mph into my 55 mph!!!??? Did you not clean your mirrors during your pretrip?[/QUOTE]
    Thus really drives me nuts.
    Can't they see that the truck is faster?
    Guess their mindset is if they get hit that it's the guys fault for rearending them.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Here is a classic boner stunt that happened to me a few weeks ago. I'm heading northbound on CA-62 up the narrow, steep canyon approaching Morongo Valley. It's an 8% Grade and I'm hauling an Amphibious Assault Vehicle, putting me about 10'8" wide and about 86K lbs.

A deadheading flatbedder passes me, then pulls over on the narrow shoulder. Then immediately opens his door and starts to get out. His eyes got big as saucers, with a really STUPID look of "I just killed myself" as the widest part of my load came within an inch of his mirror as he jumped back inside. Another truck was passing me right then, so moving over wasn't an option.

Here is where he pulled that nearly fatal stunt...

Screenshot_20191014-081237.png

It gets better. Had he simply continued rolling another 100 yards he could have pulled over into THIS...
    Screenshot_20191014-081248.png

4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    “Stupid” is not genetic. If it were, it could be weaponized.

Stupid is a conscious choice that people make in their mind only AFTER they gain intelligence. If you’re Dumb, you don’t know. There’s nothing wrong with being dumb. We are all born dumb. But when you KNOW better, and do it anyway...

...like the people @Lepton1 is referring to...

....you chose to be stupid. Own it.

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, to be fair he might be a stranger in that part of the world and didn’t know about the wider shoulder up ahead.

6. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Sure they did. They just had to get around the mega truck going 34 mph.

7. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Just to Add..Ive drove around the blind curve...OMG Heres a bonehead on the shoulder...No Wait...Hes Pulling Out in Front of me...Heres a Friendly Container Puller "punching it" on the left of me so I Cant get over! Yes...happens Too Often JMO

FerrissWheel, G13Tomcat and TripleSix Thank this.
  8. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio

....and another copyright publication in the book of Six. People used to say my SON was 'dumb' when he was a lil' guy. Nope, he was smart. DIDN'T want those giant legos that build nothing; took parts of his sister's with the pullies and stuff... and built them on the down low. He just liked to do HIS thing OUT of eyes' deeming him.

Great post as always, Six.

InTooDeep, FerrissWheel and TripleSix Thank this.
  9. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Those darn wiggle wagons, holding everything up. I hear ya.

FerrissWheel Thanks this.
  10. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Pups do pull like a lead sled, so I’m well familiar with that pain. :oops::eek:

FerrissWheel and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  11. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Motorvating along at 70 MPH.
    Three trucks in right lane ahead, slight grade, like 3%,
    Lead truck is slowing on pull.
    Check left lane, clear, no traffic for quite some way,
    Move left into open lane.
    Closing on the three trucks at 70 MPH, lead truck of the group is down to about 40 MPH.
    Starting to pass last truck in line, gaining on second truck quickly. The line has dropped speed to a bit over 30 MPH. Closing in on second truck, still at 70,

You probably have figured out what’s next.

About 10 feet in front of me, second truck makes a hard lane change. NO Signal, nothing. At 31 MPH.
    Did I mention that I was running 70 MPH? Hard on brakes. Now we climb the rest of the grade at 31MPH.
    The mega genius can’t pull the lead truck.
    As we top the grade, mega genius finally get momentum back and goes past lead truck and moves right. As I pass this driver, left foot up on dash, headset firmly in place and yacking like nothing, looks over and waves with a big smile.

Never looked, No signals used at all.
    Oblivious to the world outside the truck.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    LoSt_AgAiN, tinytim, ChevyCam and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.