So you want to haul crude oil in the badlands of ND?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Nogy, Jul 13, 2010.

1. grimm

grimm Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Duluth, Mn
    i am intrested in this but i dont know the name of any companies to look for. I like the 2 weeks on 1 week of bit. So does any buddy know the name of a caompany that pays 70k a year.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HEAVY DUDE

HEAVY DUDE Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NUNYA
  4. Hurryupandwait

Hurryupandwait Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Canada, Northern Ontario
    Last time I checked North Dakota was still part of the United States. And the oil fields in Canada pay a bit better than 70k a year.

bulldozerbert and Elvenhome21 Thank this.
  5. droy

droy Heavy Load Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Fourteen years of crude oil trucking/dispatching in south Lousy-ana, TX, and OK area never exposed me to hazards like you guys up north have to face. I'm sure that's why the pay is less ; less risks. Some of the dangers I, and other drivers have encountered include:
    Drunks, prolly our biggest danger; (we're in a more populated area, so more drunks, and more variety);
    The hopelessly lost, hopelessly drunk, drunks that wind up at your load/unload site.
    The "drunk, not married to each other couple" who chose your load/unload site to park and get romantic. One of our drivers came up on a naked couple that locked themselves out of their car when they got out to pee. Unable to turnaround, driver backed into ditch trying to get back to main road.....Sheriff deputies, terminal manager, wrecker driver, locksmith.......hey lets have a party!
    The "after gay club closing time, bored, drunk, homos" looking for a thrill, that follow you to remote load/unload sites then streak around the location, or hide in the bushes waiting till you drive up and are bent over hooking up your hoses then, buck naked, sneak up to the security fence behind you, and fondle themselves.
    (Yes, this was a big problem in one area, for a while off duty deputies had to be hired to patrol.)

The usual assortment of animals- mean dogs, curious bobcats, sneaky alligators that liked to lay in tall grass close to a gate in the marsh, then scare the hell out of you by running for the water when you almost step on them. Dumpster diving coons who, after the wind blows the plastic lid down, trapping them in the dumpster, become so enraged, will give you a good run for your truck when you open the lid.

Cows that can lay down in 2'' tall pasture grass, becoming invisible, until you are up on the oil tank, then will run through that #### gate you were too lazy to shut, never to be seen again.
    Snakes, ants, hogs, yowling coyotes, and screech owls that can make the hair stand up on your neck.
    Then the unseen dangers that lurk in the woods just on the edge of your location; Bigfoot; Hookman, (local terror); Loup-Gaux Rou (the Cajun Wolfman), you never see them, but know they're out there.

Yeah, like any job, it can get interesting.

When I took an early retirement in 2002, pay was mid to high 50s, depending on how greedy you were. Former company did give a pretty substantial increase shortly after I left, but don't know exactly how much.

bobobrazil Thanks this.
  6. cjh

cjh Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2010
    grand rapids mn
    I know the PATCH from back roads where you wouldn't take a 4x4 jeep, roads when your climbing in
    Deep Under in the BROWNEY, LOW IN MAIN BOX
    and and wish you had a lower one yet and all you see is sky for 1-4 miles at a time, and then yep you gotta go down the back side with 220 bbls of black 10 gravity oil pushing on you so hard that you wonder what keeps the u-joints from popping I've been on new lease roads where d-9 cats where above us with cables hooked into d rings we had installed on our frames, and I want more of it trying to find a company in the Bakken Field in ND have talked with numerous compaies same old story NO we don't want owners we want employees. So if ya know of anyone hiring owner operators please give me a shout. Ya have a good day and always "DIRTY SIDE DOWN"

7. Cableguy

Cableguy Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2010
    The Plains, Ohio
    I am interested in knowing what company I can go to work for in the N. Dakota oilfields making 137 K gross. I have been trucking in Iraq for the past 5 years hauling fuel for our military. Could you help me with this information? I am presently out of work and in great need
    Cableguy

8. gdyupgal

gdyupgal Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Montana/Watford City,ND
    :yes2557:
    I'm headed to ND this weekend to drive in the oil fields..there are several outfits you can apply to.. http://www.jobsnd.com/ they do need drivers and if your good on really bad weather roads and have your hazmat you should be able to get on most any place..

9. Cableguy

Cableguy Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2010
    The Plains, Ohio
    Thanks gdyupgal, I have been to that website and have seen several companies I am interested in but some do not post the income they offer. May I ask what company you are heading to N. Dakota to go to work for?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  10. gdyupgal

Aug 21, 2010
    Montana/Watford City,ND
    Power Fuels...there are alot more there but I'm limited because I'm right out of school so not many options for me yet but Power Fuels is supposed to be pretty good..Missouri Basin..Nabors..Halliburton..Falco..Tesaro..Sajel are a few to check if you haven't already..housing is the main issue some Co. offer man camps but if you have housing already then your chances are better

11. gdyupgal

Aug 21, 2010
    Montana/Watford City,ND
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.