So you want to hot-shot? (Will be updated/edited frequently)

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by HOTSHOTTER432, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Bluegrasscf

Bluegrasscf Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2017
    The aux tank was part of the upfit. 60 gallons for diesel and 30 gallons on the other side for gas for the generator

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest1

Midwest1 Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2014
    So, the unfit company manufactured it?

Nice looking rig!

4. Catfishpuddin

Catfishpuddin Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2017
    I was looking at their sleepers today online. They have a base price listed but I was wondering what the ballpark cost for the work you had done. Really like the looks of the product from the pics.

5. Bluegrasscf

Jan 31, 2017
    To have it set up exactly like mine, you are looking at a 20k upfit. I went with a better generator, ac unit, microwave, tv, and fridge. You could cut some of those things out and get it lower but i wanted a set up that i didnt have to worry about and my driver could be comfortable.
    I am saving 2k a month in hotels with this setup so it will pay for itself really quickly. Plus being able to pull over anywhere to sleep and not hunt for a hotel is worth its wait in gold.

LloydToo Thanks this.
  6. mudflap5255

mudflap5255 Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2017
    I've been watching this thread and there's tons of great helpful information coming from it.
    First, I don't have my CDL and I was wondering if there was a company out there that I could work for with just my regular operators license, wether it be driving a truck pulling a gooseneck or driving cargo vans, sprinter, or box truck. I'm 41 years old with family and I have owned/operated a phone business for 5 years but with changes in FCC/USAC regulations I cannot afford to keep my government contracts. I'm sure everyone has heard this before but I can literally drive anything with tires or tracks, I grew up on a farm and when I got my license at 16, it wasn't long till my grandpa had me hauling loads of cows to the stockyards in a F-800 gasser with a 4 speed trans and 2 speed axel with a 26' cattle racks flat. Then later on he bought a F-350 diesel drw and a 30' gooseneck (btw that was a sob in some of these farmlots) I found myself driving for him 6 days a week to every farm and stockyards within 200 miles. After that I hauled electrical equipment in a truck with 22' box in Ky and every surrounding state. I hauled crushed stone and hot asphalt in a dump truck for a couple years. In my latest venture I used a rented Penske truck International 26 foot box to deliver cellular phone equipment and other electronics to Ky and every state surrounding and Arkansas and Texas, farthest run was to Lufkin TX. I have lost quite a bit of money in th closing of my business (Thanks Uncle Sam) and honestly can't afford to buy a truck or sprinter, but I would like to in my future. I would like to drive for someone where my wife could ride and possibly drive. I'm not looking to get rich, I'm looking to survive and feed my family.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated and sorry for the long post

7. Bluegrasscf

Jan 31, 2017
    Why not go get your a endorsement and get on with a company like mine in your area. We haul LTL and cars using 3500s and 4500s with 40 foot flat beds or 3 car wedges.
    You take the test with the equipment you will be operating. I know with my company, i am always looking for drivers that will work hard and take care of the equipment.

mudflap5255 Thanks this.
  8. UPG*

UPG* Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Hartford, Connecticut
    flatbedcarrier, I sent an email to GMC about what constitutes legal towing and they said, in essence, that they could not give advise (about the specs of their own vehicles).

The scenario is a truck with a 13,025# GVWR, a 31,300# GCWR and 5,600/9,375# axles ratings on the truck and two 10,000# axles for the trailer.

Is it possible to be "slightly" over your GVWR & GCWR yet within your axle rating and still be legal?

5600 + 9375 = 14975# Those axle ratings are higher than the GVWR. :(????

9. UPG*

UPG* Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Hartford, Connecticut

Why do they have two limit ratings? Why not the 14975# alone and make it simple?

10. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Unless you still have the one from when your truck was purchased new, Go down to a local dealer and look at the fine print noted next to the GCVW on a truck window sticker.

I don't have one in front of me but in the past, in fine print they stated something to the effect that the GCVW is only a suggestion. Double check to make sure it's still on the window sticker.

ohiobred Thanks this.
  11. UPG*

UPG* Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Hartford, Connecticut
    Thank you.

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.