So you want to hot-shot? (Will be updated/edited frequently)

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by HOTSHOTTER432, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Blue Lodge

Blue Lodge Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2017

2. Blue Lodge

Blue Lodge Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2017
    I have had a class A for a few years no accidents. But three at fault in my personal vehicles over the past 4 yrs. Just started a Hot Shot company and my credit score is around 690 But Progressive quoted me over 42,000 for the year. Is there any other company or insurance brokers that will give me a better deal if so who been on the phones all morning searching.

3. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Ripper Z,

I don't really monitor local Texas freight. Is there loads there? Yes but to me, the rates I see on those loads don't look very good. Typically when we load in Texas the loads are leaving the state.

Building relationships with brokers, I don't find it difficult myself. Finding the right ones, that can take time. As long as you're professional, have a good work ethic, when you run across one they'll notice you.

4. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California

Where are you based?

5. samcperez

samcperez Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Do you have a recommendation for a top notch CA ins agent?

6. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Yes I do, I'll send you the contact info in private messaging on here.

analoglogistics and samcperez Thank this.
  7. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    For all the new guys out there.

Thanksgiving week is one of those weeks that you're really better off staying at home. Sure you'll see a few good paying loads pop up but finding a return load home, or anywhere else can be extremely difficult because so many people take the entire week off. If you take a load out, be sure to get enough money on it to make a good profit even if you have to dead head back home. Every time I decided to run through thanksgiving week over the years I either bounced clear back to the house, or spent the holiday at a truck stop.

Those truck stop thanksgivings, they're the worst. I remember my last one very well, I was sitting at a Flying J having their turkey dinner. It was horrible, it wasn't like any turkey dinner I ever had before. It was processed turkey, reminded me of spam, still had some of that clear jelly on it. I couldn't eat it. To me it was a very eerie feeling sitting at the truck stop. Very few trucks rolling in, or out. I was kicking myself for not staying home.

The guys I work with, I'm loading all of them home, that want to be home. Most of them are already home or at least heading that way. I have one Owner Operator that never wants to go home so I'm working to line him up with work. I'll be doing all I can to keep him moving over the holiday. I won't be doing it from my office though, instead I'll be taking a computer with me. If you happen to be out in the Mohave desert this week and see a white jeep sitting on top of a hill, that'll probably be me looking for a internet signal.

Hope you all have a good Thanksgiving.

Lab_Rat_Logistics, fun4all and Anj Thank this.
  8. tc3500

tc3500 Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Very informative thread!

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  9. fun4all

fun4all Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Hi you'all, read the topics all in 3 days on the road. I m tanker driver and planing to purchased a truck next year. But seem hotshot is a great start too. Have a few questions hope yours can help me with... i m bas in Houston, wonder if it good rate run around or from here, and i am familiar with chemical, liquid, hazmat stuff, wonder if hotshot run those?

10. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Houston is a ok spot to load out of, at least we load our owner operators out of there without to much trouble. You don't see a lot of hotshots doing hazmat, atleast I don't anyways. That could possibly be a niche for you? That is if you could find affordable insurance for hauling hazmat. From what I hear insurance to haul it is four to five times what it runs for hauling the types of freight we do.

Anj and fun4all Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.