So you want to hot-shot? (Will be updated/edited frequently)

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by HOTSHOTTER432, Apr 29, 2015.

1. DLinn

DLinn Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2018
    LLC or Sub S?

I have a sub s corp. and was thinking of doing an LLC for this business. I assumed for tax purposes the LLC would operate similar to the sub s. I was wrong.

I am posting this here for those thinking of starting. If you do an LLC you will be paying way more taxes than you have to. The Sub S is a bit more complex but your cpa should be able to walk you through it.

In my state (and I'm assuming anywhere), bottom line, if the company profits more than around $5k a year, sub s is the way to go.

2. nvmyrc51

nvmyrc51 Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Florence, KY
    Longtime listener, first time caller. Question guys. I am looking at trucks to start hotshotting. I have found a 2015 Ram 5500 chassis cab w/sleeper, extra fuel tank, fully deleted, and 185,000 miles. Of course I will check it over thoroughly but if it all checks out is $31,000 a fair price?

3. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    The first couple years new numbers attract a lot of attention at the scales. I am not sure what states check for the delete or how just something you might want to consider.

4. nvmyrc51

Dec 18, 2018
    Florence, KY
    Thanks Lite Bug. I was thinking something similar. I see you are just up the road from me. How is the market here?

Lite bug Thanks this.
  5. Lite bug

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    I am not sure
    Not sure where you are located?

6. nvmyrc51

Dec 18, 2018
    Florence, KY
    Ha sorry. NKY/Cincinnati area.

7. Lite bug

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    I know a guy close to you ( Cincinnati ) that can help. I will try to send my phone thru private message.

8. Miroh

Miroh Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Im closing in on being ready. I'm still looking for a trailer lol. They just started doing the 2019 UCRs also.

9. Cornel

Cornel Bobtail Member

May 23, 2014

I just got a quote today from Progressive for Commercial @ $9,063/Year
    Ram 5500
    Trailer 40 Ft
    Unlimited miles (No restriction)
    $1,000,000.00 liability
    $250,000.00 cargo

I think I can lower my quote to $5000 to $7000/year if I use an insurance agent.

GSGSFTWERTG.jpg

@flatbedcarrier - Do you still recommend buying a trailer from thetrailerguys? I am shopping around to buy a good trailer. What kind of the setup do you have on this trailer? Does it have Air ride? Customers are asking for air ride What are the specs on this trailer? How much weight can you put on it ?(CDL A).Thank you.

With hundreds of Brokers out there, would you be able to recommend anyone? I don't know anything about the Hot Shot business, I would rather pay a broker to start in this business but I can't run for lower than $1.45/mile .I have multiple scenarios and $1.45/mile is the lower I can do (per loaded trailer total).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.