So you want to hot-shot? (Will be updated/edited frequently)

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by HOTSHOTTER432, Apr 29, 2015.

1. RebelJ

RebelJ Bobtail Member

May 25, 2019
    Hello y'all, I'm also looking into the hot shot business and planned on O/O maybe with my own authority. Any tips on getting started price wise I should know? Already have truck and trailer figured out next step is CDL

2. Williamexpress

Williamexpress Bobtail Member

Sep 11, 2015
    Sunbury Oh
    Looking for advice
    I had steel sheets load with tarps requirements, did not have another type of requirement when I went to delivered the product was raining all day long and in their warehouse the had a rusted product, they loaded me the same product, I tarp everything but was impossible keeping drying because the humidity inside the tarps, so when I delivered the product was rusty and wet now they are charging me to pay an amount of money because the condition of the delivered product, what I should do

3. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    . Depending on the cost of the product, as what I would do. If I had new authority and it cost a few hundred dollars and did not want this to effect my insurance down the road I would pay it out of my pocket. Now a couple of thousand will change my approach. I and and lot of other people could Monday morning QB the situation but it would not help you. Call your insurance guy, they will give you some feedback. Now I hope someone here will help also. How much will the damage cost?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  4. Williamexpress

Sep 11, 2015
    Sunbury Oh
    they are asking for 1000... Dollars, but they paid the load in total that is why I can't understand why do they paid and now they are charging me the amount of 1000 dollars. I have two years with my own authority ...

5. Lite bug

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Did you call your insurance guy yet. How is your cash flow? 2 years into you could still be tight. Think about it like this one way or another it won’t put you out of business. I always carry some of those small cheap tarps to put under my regular ones just as Insurance. And I will pass on a load like you described. Starting out I seen what the humidity will do to new steel.

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  6. Williamexpress

Sep 11, 2015
    Sunbury Oh
    yes I talked to my insurance guy and they said is my choice if I pay or no, os not going to affect my insurance quote, I told my insurance guy the RC just had requirements must be a tarp, there were no other requirements like must keep dry on that particular RC

7. Lite bug

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Sounds like you are pretty much on top of it. Your call

8. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Aren't new steel products supposed to be coated with some kind of oil to prevent that kind of rust? I think even in an enclosed trailer the humidity would have caused the same damage. They said tarp it and you did, I would think the rest is their problem. I personally wouldn't pay especially after they took the load and paid for it.

What other consequence are you facing if you don't pay?

Williamexpress Thanks this.
  9. Williamexpress

Sep 11, 2015
    Sunbury Oh
    I thought maybe my insurance will be high because of this, but not is not going to be, and I have the proof in their warehouse they have rust steel sheets too, I have some pictures of that, and I am thinking if they take me to the court I am going to fight because I don't want to pay for something that was not my fault

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  10. procharged392

procharged392 Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2019
    My question is for the experienced drivers, with $6k in monthly expenses(excluding diesel) is this business profitable?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.