So you want to hot-shot? (Will be updated/edited frequently)

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by HOTSHOTTER432, Apr 29, 2015.

1. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Learning to tie freight down isn't that hard. Mostly common sense. I work with a lot of rookies I teach them how to tie freight down, and then I monitor them as long as they need me to.

Best advice I can give you is,
    1. Before you start, read the FMCSA regulations regarding tie down.

2. Visit a local truck stop and look at how all the different freight is tied down.

3. Whenever you're in doubt about how much tie down gear needs to be used, tie it down the way you think it needs to be done and then add more tie down gear. There's no such thing as over tying a load down.

4. Most guys running flatbed don't mind being asked for advice. Don't be afraid to ask another trucker how he's tie a particular piece of freight, or full load down.

5. Padding is critical, any freight that's sharp that could cut a strap, or any freight that could be damaged needs to be protected with padding, or edge protectors. The last thing you want getting started is cargo insurance claims.

I'll throw some pictures up here for you that I have handy. And I'll go dig up some more. Look at how the chains, straps, and padding are used.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    More tie down pictures,

Attached Files:

4. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    A few more

Attached Files:

5. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    There's a lot of other stuff you'll need to learn, like I said though it's mostly common sense.

When you need to tarp a load make sure anything that could poke a hole in the tarp is padded before putting the tarp on. Also while tarping make sure your bungee cord hooks cannot rub a hole in the tarp, or into the freight under the tarp. Always face the hooks out, and the part of the hook that goes through the bungee cord should be bent closed. Always make sure the tarp is tight and isn't flapping in the wind while going down the road. A flapping tarp can damage freight, and it can also destroy the tarp. If a vinyl tarp flaps in the wind it'll cause the material to fracture. It'll look like tiny spiderweb cracks. Once that happens it will no longer keep water out where the fractures are located.

6. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Tarped freight.

Attached Files:

7. truckertrey

truckertrey Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Thanks flatbedcarrier.

8. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
  9. fl0w3n

fl0w3n Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2015
    This is great information and I thank all the experienced guys sharing their wisdom.

I've been reading up on this industry for the past few months and have a few questions.

Can the Texas oil fields sustain full time hot shotting, or will supplemental loads be needed?

The biggest question I have, not being anywhere near this industry right now, is I'm having a hard time getting a gauge of income. Can anyone give me an idea of some gross income?

The idea I've built up would be a lbz or later Chevy, with a small loan likely. Trailer likely a used 40'+ deck over purchased in full.
    Try to keep expenses to licensing/insurance/fees etc and then do as much routine maintenance myself, as time/resources permit.
    I don't have a house or any family right now, so I'm not too worried about road time as long as I get some down time too.

I have a 3/4 ton lbz ext cab short bed right now and I've considered getting started with that but I'm not sure that's the best thing to start with.

A bit of a ramble, but can anyone chime in on my ramblings? Considering quitting my corporate management job to do this.

10. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Right now, I wouldn't expect any oil field work. For several months now my phones have be ringing off the hook with guys who were Hauling oil field loads. They were all looking to switch out and haul freight, vehicles, whatever they can get.

How much you can earn depends on a lot of stuff, for instance, your equipment type, what type of work you're looking for, local, regional, over the road? And how aggressive you approach this, experience, and so on.

As far as using a single rear wheel truck for this type of work, personally I wouldn't do it. Everyone I've seen try it with a srw truck didn't last long.

11. fl0w3n

fl0w3n Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Thanks for the reply, flatbed.

That's great insight in regard to the oil fields. Any idea why it seems the work has dried up?

My idea was keeping loads local would again cut down on costs; overnight stays, eating, etc.
    However, I am open to a lot. I want to see more of the country via the roads so I'm open to OTR. Starting out I know you can't be picky. I am a night person and enjoy working in bursts, so going non-stop within legal limits for 2-3 weeks and then resting a week sounds right up my alley.

I mentioned that I picture my equipment to be a GM 1ton drw with a 40' or bigger deck over. Can you give me a ballpark of some lows and highs you've seen, as it seems you have been at this for some time and have the experience.

One thing I had read about oil field, and the reason I first inquired, was the loads are "better" because they are typically lower profile and thus have less drag and yield better mileage and profits. Compared to just hot shotting for all industries where your expenses might be less predictable based off mileage.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.