So you want to hot-shot? (Will be updated/edited frequently)

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by HOTSHOTTER432, Apr 29, 2015.

1. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Commercial license permit

Lite bug Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Got it

4. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I thought it was "Learners permit"...as in she can only drive a commercial vehicle with a CDL holder supervising. And I think I remember rules pertaining to that too. Like it can't be somebody who just got their CDL last week.

5. analoglogistics

analoglogistics Bobtail Member

Apr 24, 2022
    Commercial Learners Permit

6. analoglogistics

analoglogistics Bobtail Member

Apr 24, 2022
    Dumb question. I went to CVS and did a DOT physical a few months back, but I do not recall getting a card. Was I supposed to get it there or does it come in the mail?

7. Lite bug

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Did they give you a long form ? If so you can use that. The card is just smaller version that is laminated smaller version

analoglogistics Thanks this.
  8. Lite bug

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    CVS won’t mail it to you.

9. Lite bug

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Of course you will have to register it. The place you send in is on the long form. It will be sent to DOT

10. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Back in the old days of 10 years ago or more you actually were given a laminated card to put in your wallet with your driver's license, to be presented to the DOT or highway patrol if requested, or for pre-employment paperwork. Since then it's all electronic and you no longer need to carry it with you, but you can keep your long form with your paperwork in your truck if you want.

For CDL holders you have to fax a copy of it your state licensing agency and keep it current or they will automatically downgrade you after a 30-day notice in the mail. Not sure how that works with non-CDL drivers who need a med card. Nobody at the licensing bureau is going to ask you for it with just a regular driver's license so I guess you'd just need to keep it with you for roadside inspections.

analoglogistics and Lite bug Thank this.
  11. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    My insurance connections for new entrants have all went to hell over the years. they’re gouging anybody just getting started now. If you have a year or two under your belt I can definitely give you a name and number of a good agent though.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.