So you want to "own " your own company

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by NightWind, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Dale thompson

Dale thompson Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2013
    commerce twp,mi
    Oscar is wrong you want contract carrier authority,with common carrier you must publish a tariff and abide by it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. just g p

just g p Light Load Member

May 20, 2013
    San Antonio, Tx
    I'm shopping for Health insurance. The average price is around $155 in my area. Do you know if this is tax deductible? Thanks,your input is greatly appreciated.

4. Kuzyk

Kuzyk Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Roselle Park, NJ
    I'm out of New Jersey. Got my authority 3 months ago. I bought a truck and hired the driver ... to be honest in these three months my driver earned more than me. For me as a company owner, I have more expenses and headache. I understand you want to work for yourself, but that's not going to be easy. I'm booking loads from getloaded and internettruckstop - they are pretty the same.

5. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC

Except in RARE instances, the driver always makes more than the owner on a per-truck basis.

SL3406 Thanks this.
  6. SpyderRyder

SpyderRyder Medium Load Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Rice, Texas
    Check with OOIDA.

just g p Thanks this.
  7. ljbigtrucks

ljbigtrucks Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Lawrenceville,Ga
    How's the business going for you?

8. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    My uncle has three trucks leased to the dry bulk trucking company here in pa.

9. bwood2800

bwood2800 Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2014
    NightWind - This is great information laid out systematically. I am in process to starting my own trucking company, and only starting with me and one truck. I'm thinking get the money built up for that truck to establish the company, as you list the costs above, and then pull the trigger and look to add. How have you been successful at finding customers? Thanks,

10. Kuzyk

Kuzyk Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Roselle Park, NJ
    I opened my company 6 months ago. I bought truck and trailer, but hire driver. First three months were disaster for me ... but now step by step I get back on the track. I don't have customers right now... hauling what ever I can get at loadboard. I thing when you just started it's quite hard to find direct shippers , if you are not a broker.

11. Battle Born

Battle Born Heavy Load Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Scandia, Mn
    If I were getting a truck and going to sign on with a flatbedding outfit, would i still need to go through all of the initial steps that nightwind put out? I know a lot of companies will "pay" your plates and all that jazz, and I know you need your own numbers, but what other steps do I need? I'm looking at landstar/Mercer if that helps.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.