So you want to "own " your own company

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by NightWind, Nov 16, 2006.

1. knuckledragger

knuckledragger Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Everett, WA
    T-BoneX: I've been doing a lot research over the last year and have come across Schneider 'IC Choice' and Landstar as a couple of well established companies. Both pay percentage of load. There are many threads and contacts available on this website for research.

T-BoneX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. warp9now

warp9now Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Gilbert, AZ
    Can't argue with "cash is king". I have followed this thread for some time and, as with all businesses, a leading cause of initial failure is not having enough operating capital. I was fortunate to have enough money to buy tractors for cash - USED tractors - but cash nonetheless. The only payment is a trailer lease from the carrier on one of the trailers. Lucky for me. The next key to success is finding good employees. I can't find any! Okay, I exaggerate. I found one. Pretty good guy. But that leaves two units idle. While that does not break my back - since there are no payments - they are also failing to earn. I can admit that I completely underestimated the driver shortage. I had money figured out, carrier figured out, type of freight, expenses, etc. While that all holds up mathematically, the employee thing is kicking my but. So, lesson learned. All the number crunching in the world can't insulate you from the human factors.

Lady K Thanks this.
  4. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    atrucker/MBtrucker reincarnated again? Now I remember.. when they woke me up to give me my bills this morning, I accidentally held the paper up to my blue tinted dome light. That revealed message in invisible ink that the behind the seens mafia had reset another of his user accounts.

Probably should quit putting that password on a sticky note stuck to your monitor. Too easy for the hidden camera behind you to capture.

5. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Looks like someone got the internet connected to the bunker in MT. Aren't you worried that the RF signals are going to mess with your non-GMO seeds?

6. Disgruntledriver

Disgruntledriver Light Load Member

Well, I was going to start my own thread but found this one and I suppose this is the best place to ask?

I've been thinking and pondering the idea of becoming an OO. An actual OO and not a company-lease-operator. I have really good credit, nothing derogatory at all on it and a lot of good things on it. I've been driving trucks nearing two years now. I have been running as an Intermodal company driver here in Los Angeles for awhile, but I tend to have very long days 12-13 hours are quite common and I work 6 days a week. Of course, I'll keep doing it diligently until something better opens up but of course, as a human being I'm always striving to be better, look for a better situation that matches my needs closer. I've always had a good business sense, I'm very outgoing and work well with customers and consigne's even as a company driver. I actually enjoy working with people and enjoy that business aspect of resolving issues and making business allies from my performance. I'm guessing I would need an accountant or some one to help me with my taxes and expenses but I'm certainly not daft in the paperwork world.

When you google search for becoming an owner operator, everything tries to discourage you and tell you how horrible it is. I'm SURE it's not easy, nothing in life worth anything is, but they really paint a gloomy picture. I love driving a truck, but I would like to have a little more control over my life and more than anything, I hate some one else controlling where I go, when, why and yes, favoritism among dispatch is still quite real. I don't like all the little psychological mind games that go with working for a big corporation and more than anything I just want to live the American Dream of being my own boss, making my own way in life...

All the time I see here in Los Angeles opportunities for port and dray owner operators who work locally and regionally, home daily sort of stuff which I know exists in big cities and beyond. Ideally I would love something where it was less stops, more miles but still home daily. I've been told about runs up to central California from here in Southern to get produce, meat products, dairy, etc. I would love something dedicated. Even if I had to spend the night upon arrival and head back the next day, I'm quite sure there's more than just long haul for owner operators, right? I'm also not opposed to living pretty much anywhere in California, Arizona or New Mexico but would like to stay in the South-Southwestern USA. I know there must be opportunities out there, I don't mind hard work and dedication, even some long hours for awhile.

I also get a bit confused on the actual aspect of which truck to buy, and is it worth looking into purchasing a trailer if you want something more dedicated? As long as it isn't some old trash heap which probably isn't a good idea to begin with I'm fine with pretty much most trucks. I hear some people say go new for the peace of mind and warranties, yet some say go used to save yourself on payments. I was thinking something maybe in the middle? Lots of clean W900's with a few years and a few miles in the 50k range. Again, I'm still learning about this part.

What kind of work would be good for what I'm looking for? Flatbed? Dairy type bulk? Grain? Reefer perhaps? What about these hay haulers with the doubles you see some times? Where would one go about finding dedicated work?

I appreciate any advice and acknowledge that it might not be for me, but I certainly want to research it, look into it and maybe down the line give it a shot.

7. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    If you plan on staying in California or running in the state, you will need to buy a newer truck, I think you will need a 2007 or newer in order to comply with California's nutty CARB laws. If you plan on leasing to a carrier, you may or may not need your own trailer. I would not buy a trailer until you decide where you are going. If you pull flats, most will require you to have your own trailer and equipment. Buying your own trailer you will also be required to be CARB compliant if you want to stay on the left coast.

I don't know about local jobs near you. If you want to deal with all the nonsense at the ports, you could probably be home most nights. You could make a living running up and down I-5, if you want to pull a flat. You can find van freight about everywhere. Pulling reefers you should be able to stay in the western states, but probably won't be able to be home every night. You would probably not need to cross the Mississippi. A friend of mine leased on with Gilner pulling their reefer. He did pretty well with them, but he ran hard. They primarily service the western states. I don't think he traveled any further east than Omaha.

Check with some of the drivers and owner operators at truck stops in the area. Truck Town in Fontana used to have positions posted on their driver board. I don't remember if either of the TA's in Ontario have driver boards. You can also check the company listings on this and other trucking forums for leads on carriers you might be able to lease.

8. Disgruntledriver

Disgruntledriver Light Load Member

Thank you very much for the reply G/MAN. Yeah, the truck stops around LA usually have job postings, OO wanted flyers and such. What kind of stuff can you pull up and down I-5 on a flat? I've seen a lot of Flatbeds on I-10 as well, is that decent work?

9. Dave2014

Dave2014 Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Hello, I am in the process of getting my own authority and working out the kinks with my insurance company. My question is, after paying the $300 to file for my own authority on the fmcsa website, do I also need to visit secretary of state website, to pay another $280 some odd dollars to incorporate my business??

Thanks for any help and advice, in advance guys!

Dave

10. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

You can have your own authority and run it under a sole propitiator... Check with a/your CPA to see if incorporating would benefit you, but for a single truck it might be more hassle than its worth.

Dave2014 Thanks this.
  11. Dave2014

Dave2014 Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Thanks for your reply. But I plan on getting more drivers under my company, so I'm guessing the best thing to do is incorporate? And also, what type of corp is best?

thanks in advance

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.