So you want to "own " your own company

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by NightWind, Nov 16, 2006.

1. 24valve puller

24valve puller Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2007
    N.E. Oh
    My truck and trailer cost around 87 cpm to operate # 100k miles/year so if I averaged $1.75/mile that would give me 88 cpm drivers wage. and the only expences I have that you don't are permits and plates, about $2000 a year and trailer pymts of about $4000/year but I'll get better mpg's so it should offset those costs. I am also curious how you run at a cost of only 40 cpm, if I could do that I could really make some money

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    because with a company like that they pay everything. his only cost is fuel.

although he's not taking into account maintenance, taxes in that

4. buckeyetrucker

buckeyetrucker Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Ohio
    Unloaded both my stops today, first one in Chicago at 7am and second in minneapolis this afternoon at 3:30. Spent 630.00 dollars in fuel and 66.30 in tolls paid out of pocket. Also had tolls thru EZ pass in Chicago that I dont know total of. Total received from this trip after those expenses will be 1428.45 on 1195 miles. That comes out to 1.20 per mile after fuel and tolls. And if BTINC wants to come in and rip me apart for not having included truck payment and maintenance... this is only to see my profits after fuel and minor expenses.

5. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    You did it right. You don't include payments in your "to the truck" figure. After that it's "to the driver".

6. broncrider

broncrider Road Train Member

but they should be included in your truck expence

7. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    Actually it was closer to 400 O/O before it was all done & over with. I was going to go lease onto Mercer... But they won't accept me. Well they'd accept me & my truck, they won't accept my trailer & they haven't even seen it. They said I would have to lease purchase one from them.

8. buckeyetrucker

buckeyetrucker Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Ohio
    Sorry it has taken so long fo update, was in Canada again and Sprint seems to think they need to charge me extra for using my internet when there.
    So I unloaded my 2 stops finaling in Minneapolis and found myself 25th on the board for reload. Was asked if I would deadhead to Chicago to pickup load that had to go. So took off tuesday am for Chicago to load that night, it was a 3 stopper , finaling in Montreal. MT miles were 413 and loaded miles at 850, for a total of 1263. Load paid 1415.25 to the truck and 204.00 for fuel, plus 100.00 drop pay. Minus 485.06 for fuel, total to the truck was 1234.19 on 1263 miles. 98 cents per mile, not good but not awful after fuel cost.
    I was MT in Montreal on thursday am and went to just outside Toronto to reload a 2 stop load for Houston. MT miles are 172, loaded miles are 1677. Load pays 3005.95 and 398.09 for fuel and 50.00 stop pay. Total load pay to truck is 3153.45 on 1849 miles. Will have final expense numbers on monday.

9. kelgar50

kelgar50 Medium Load Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Bakersfield,CA
    What kind of trailer do you have is it at least a 48'?They will not take one anything less than that....could be the problem but without specs on trailer couldn't tell ya.

10. Markvfl

Markvfl Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Apopka, FL
    I pull a step deck and work load boards. I work hard at the finding and building of loads and there's no way in H#LL I can average 1.75 a mile. Last three runs total 6000 miles including deadheads and $7910 in GROSS revenue = $1.31 per mile. Time invested = 16 days. Sure, sometimes I get a 7 thousand dollar LTL load put together but that is far and away the exception and not the rule. When you really know your cost per mile then you know that this is barely making it. These hands who think there cost is their fuel or are 40 or 50 cents per mile are only kidding themselves on the way to bankruptcy court. When you really know your CPM you can make a fair comparison to the leases that the Big Guys offer. They have paid plates, insurance, fuel, tire and maintenance discounts, etc... Bottom line is that the bottom line will be nearly the same either way. In this economy almost no one is going to let us earn more than the minimum wage to survive until the supply of trucks is reduced to meet the demand for them on the freight side, or the freight supply increases to somewhere close to capacity of the trucks available.

PharmPhail and Eskimo6804 Thank this.
  11. M.Enterprises

M.Enterprises Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2009
    I hear Morgan Enterprises is good.

:yes2557: LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.