So you want to "own " your own company

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by NightWind, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    I don't think anywhere near the paperwork and such will be necessary if he's going to stay local, in the same State.
    If it were me, I'd get in touch with your State's DOT and they'll be (should be) happy to let you know what will be required.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HwyPilot

HwyPilot Medium Load Member

May 31, 2008
    Northern Georgia
    Being NE Missouri, is he going to be crossing state lines for work? (if it's possible - the only answer I can think of is yes). While logs are simpler for a "local" truck, most of the paperwork is nearly the same for what we do out on the road.

Will he need his own authority MC#, DOT#, etc? He may be able to ask around where he's getting work from, other drivers can be helpful if they wanta be *grin*. A good source to check out is www. tfig. org (take the spaces out of the web address) - they've helped me alot and know their stuff - simple advice is usually free if you're polite about it.

There may be someone you can ask here on the board about the basics - let me PM him and see if he's up for Q&A and thinks he could help.

Best of luck to you and your man, btw - it's good you're in this together and it'll take you both alot further!

4. HwyPilot

May 31, 2008
    Northern Georgia
    Just got a reply from one source, he mentioned another member and I'll try to catch him online also.

"As far as what to do to get set up.. He'll need to check with his city/county/state and get whatever business and contractors licenses that are required.

As far as billing and book keeping, I use Quickbooks. It's easy to learn and familiar to most accountants.

I'm not sure about MO., but here in WA we have the WA Truckers Assoc. It has a Dump Truck group. He should see if MO has something similar. It's a great resource for the type of forms he might use, group insurance, permits..etc..

And he should know, right now is not the time to be getting into the dump truck business. At least not here anyway. There are sooooo many guys losing their trucks right now..

As far as getting business.. It's all in who you know.. Get out there and knock on doors.. Introduce yourself to the major construction contractors.. Pass out your business card to everyone.. A website wouldn't hurt.."

Hope that helps some :-D

5. Hedon

Hedon Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2009
    SW Missouri
    We are in MO and in the process of buying our OTR truck. I called the MO DOT in Jeff City and they were surprisingly helpful. (I know who would have thought?) They emailed me a checklist of everything you need to do to get set up all tidy and legal-like. Maybe they could help you all, too. Good luck.

HwyPilot and Gears Thank this.
  6. Gears

Aug 20, 2009
    Right now I'm at a Flying J in Kansas City. Come buy me breakfast and I'll let you pick my brain about being an owner operator...
    (kidding of course)
    Make sure you're as thorough as possible and recheck all your paperwork and such. Keep us posted and good luck!

7. runion25

runion25 Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2007
    west virginia
    i am thinking about getting a truck and would like any suggestions about small companies in the wv area with a few trucks. i dont care for the big companies. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks:biggrin_25514:

8. Benbradley

Benbradley Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2010
    I have my own truck and am looking for someone's elses authority I can run under. Does anyone know someone that I can pay to run under their authority?:biggrin_2552:

9. Hedon

Hedon Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2009
    SW Missouri

LOL! What do you think I'm doing hanging out here? I've been picking your brain for weeks -- no breakfast required. :biggrin_25522:

Seriously, I would have been happy to sit down with you at the J but we're down in the very southwest corner of the state. If we had been up there looking at the truck we've got our eye on we could have met up.

10. Gears

Aug 20, 2009
    I must have been through your neck of the woods then earlier this week as I took a load down to Ft Smith Arkansas from Omaha.

11. HwyPilot

May 31, 2008
    Northern Georgia
    KC - woohoo - you headed south where the weather isn't trying to kill you! Then again, we're south (somewhat) and they're talking about freezing rain and sleet tonight! So how ya been Gears? I've been planning the trip to NE, and it looks like I'll be running up there to arrive in NE on the 12th and get under a load - then who knows where from there for the weekend.

It's a whopping 35 degrees out right now, raining, and I've been out reinstalling my batteries! But you gotta do what you gotta do - Tiny's bound for the shop tomorrow if UPS ever shows up with the parts. Finally getting that pair of front air bags before the DOT catches me under their "new found mission" and runs me through the wringer.

I figured out one of the reasons this truck cranks over so slowly. The dealer that I bought the truck from short-changed me on the new batteries I asked for in the deal. The truck specs out 4x950CCA batteries, and what they installed were 4x720CCA - anyone have a calculator (I'm short nearly a whole battery)?! I gave him credit in the deal for $500 worth of batteries, and he delivered a little over half of that ($300) - what a scheister!

Since I'm venting LOL, I'll also point out that an upper cabinet is missing 2 shelves, I'm missing all the snap covers for the sleeper windows ($200), I asked for a truck with a factory inverter - and got a Cobra 2,550W instead...... I tell ya it's like buying a car missing the sunvisors and the glove box with a bunch of D cell batteries taped together in place of the battery! I found a new parts source, thanks to a friend, and I'll probably never talk to those jokers again (unless I'm demanding they fix this crap or I'll bad mouth em every chance I get). I'm just glad the engine runs well and it gets down the road......

Missouri is awesome, wish I was back there most of the time - we've got family here in Georgia though so I can't complain. Whatever you do, hedon, watch the truck dealer you buy from - these folks were great until they got their truck sold, now I can't even get them on the phone. I'll give em a last chance one of these days when I'm in a giving mood, and if it goes like I think it will - onto the forum it goes - name and all. I can't have friends wandering into that place unwarned, no one deserves to be treated like this.

Stay warm and safe friends, Springs not too far away!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.