So you want to "own " your own company

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by NightWind, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Beachcomber

Beachcomber Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Custer City,Oklahoma
    Hey Thanks for stopping in; First as a Neighbor for 20 some years i wanna thank all of you for following the American Dream and cutting a Path for the rest of us, who were either not sure "how to" or simply didnt want to put up with the B.S. out there as an O/O. But im Getting much older now and want to own my own.. any suggestions on were to start..Truck,Permits,Comnpany, and just "How to be a Smart Trucker'..and run a successfull business..
    thank you!
    Beachcomber

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    From 8 posts prior to yours on this thread:

Do your research and use the search function here at these forums. Your question has been posted here many times prior to you. I'm pretty sure many of your subsequent questions have been posted too.

4. mitchtazz

mitchtazz Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    i'm not sure if they changed the rules or not, but from reading what you had to go through i can only imagine so.. i started doing my research back in Oct so that once i get out i'll have everything in line so it'll flow smoothly to get my authority, i used the first page of this thread and it really got me started cause i didn't know what i had to do.. but the FIRST PAGE (BeachComber) has everything, the only that that really changed i believe is the SSR, it's the UCR, and before the UCR link wasn't working but now you can go to the Indiana page and register for UCR.. and if your state (my state Florida) isn't part of the UCR then you have to do it in the next state that is part of the UCR.. i'ma do mine in Georiga. and then when ever Fl becomes part of the UCR i'll switch it. Oh, and if you're a new carrier, i believe 180 days after you get your Authority you have to attend a seminar. i looked at them for florida and they're in strange places like service plazas and stuff. Oh and you HAVE to file for a DOT number in order to do IR/IFTA. those are the only things i've noticed a change in other then the CSA2010, which should only scare the bad companies.

5. newly crusin

newly crusin Medium Load Member

mitchtazz,

Yes, I have a 8 file expanding file folder I can easily find info in that stays in the briefcase, also one 2 drawer filing cabinet with many files for all every document.
    This make it easier to find documents in a short period of time when needed when in the office.

crusin

6. Huggins989

Huggins989 Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2010
    College Station, TX
    Are there any O/O management service companies that you can contract to that can get the O/O requirements for you. ( plates, authority, permits...ect.) I want to concentrate on getting/scheduling the loads, driving and maintaining the truck. Do they offer bookkeeping and tax services? I have been trying to search for this but I'm not sure which key words to use in the search.

7. Bigray

Bigray Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Tampa, Florida

That's how i intially started, i found a one stop shop for all those things you mentioned.

I think OOIDA also does this, but my processor was local.

8. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    The more you do yourself, the more you save. The more you do yourself, the more knowledgeable you'll be about your company and your business. To each his own, but it's not that difficult.

newly crusin Thanks this.
  9. mojoblues

mojoblues Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2007
    I am buying a truck next week and I am planning on leasing to a company which I have been already approved.
    I've read some real negative posts about the business here and need some advice.
    Im am supposed to be getting 1.00 a mile
    is it really that bad out there?. The company I am working for is pretty busy actually
    I need to know what paperwork procedures I have to go threw. like DOT number, IFTA, plates etc. I was told if I have a DOT number I wont pay tax on the buying the truck.
    what does the carrier do for me in this process? I have read about being an owner operator but mostly about having your own authority
    Thanks

10. musicmaker

musicmaker Medium Load Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Fort Madison, IA
    You have got to be kidding, $1.00/ mile. You better put some numbers down and figure out how youre going to do that. BTW its not good out here right now and with 2010 coming, its going to get tougher

11. Larryparker

Larryparker Medium Load Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Boynton beach, FL
    My Friend,
    I hope you do a little more research before you put a truck on the road, and get more information from the company you plan to lease to. There is a lot more to this story than what you have put down.

I wish you the best of luck.

Larry

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.