So you want to "own " your own company

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by NightWind, Nov 16, 2006.

1. matthewseed921

matthewseed921 Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Winchester, CA
    So I want to get into O/O the only thing is, I'm not sure where to start. Is it a good or bad idea to lease your first truck form a company? I hear that its bad and I hear that its good. Also, when you start out do you contract out with a company or do you find your loads on your own? I know that you will have to have about 20k to start, does that sound right?

A lot of questions I know, but if anyone knows of any good sites with information on getting started it would be a great help. I'm trying to do as much research as possible because I want to be ready for this and not just jump in and get screwed in the end.

Thanks to all for the help and advise.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    there is a little thing called the "search" function.

how many times does the same question really need to be asked?

Pipeliner_970 Thanks this.
  4. Pipeliner_970

Pipeliner_970 Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Canon City, Colorado
    Take a few days and read through PharmPhail's thread titled "Instant O/O and Loadboards" You'll get a real good idea of what you're going to run into as an inexperienced driver going O/O. Another good read for you would be the sticky thread in this section titled "so you want to "own" your own company?"

There are several threads right here on the first page of this section asking the same kind of questions, read and see what kind of answers they're getting. And as MedicineMan suggested, use the search function.

5. Machine

Machine Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2010
    The Road
    If you don't have any money, credit , or experience go to work at tacobell you will make more money.

6. GreenEyedTrucker

GreenEyedTrucker Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2010
    houston, texas
    has anyone here leased a semi truck before?

7. Machine

Machine Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2010
    The Road
    Yep that topic is a perfect example of what not to do.... Read it and do the complete opposite of that guy.

8. matthewseed921

matthewseed921 Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Winchester, CA
    Thank you to the ones that actually had something informative to say. There is a lot of good information on this site, I just thought I would ask my question directly to get direct answers, that is what a forum is designed to provide. To the ones that are telling me to use the search, why would even waste your time responding to the post...

9. WildWyatt

WildWyatt Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Statesville, NC
    There are a lot of guys here with a lot of info. Just go back a few pages in this thread. I think you will find what your looking for. :biggrin_25524:

10. slabrunner

slabrunner Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Muskegon, MI
    Matseed, this question has been put and answered ad infinatum on this forum. Nobody's trying to jump you or anything. What you're trying to get into is a profession, one that the operators here have given significant portions of their lives to learn...

11. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    The only place you start on top is digging a hole........That being said, I did start as an O/O. BUT... I had Military retirement including medical. A good sized wad of cash, Truck, trailer and equipmet that was paid for, strong mechanical skills, and a brother who owns a 15 truck operation..... He and his guys have guided me almost every step of the way. He has a good handfull of dedicated customers that keep us busy. We occasionally use the load boards to get home. This past year I was able to add a 2d trailer and in August upgraded to a newer (99) truck. Next year I hope to add a 55ton Lowboy or RGN. We will see how that goes.
    You really need to learn the business or have someone to tutor you. I WOULD NOT HAVE MADE IT THIS FAR WITHOUT THAT.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.