So you want to run at night?!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by dirtyjerz, Jun 17, 2013.

1. dirtyjerz

dirtyjerz glowing beard pouty kid

Jun 7, 2011
    Playing in Traffic
    So you wanna run at night.

Some new drivers may wonder what running over night is like. Well its kinda like the day with a few differences. Let me give you a quick rundown of what its like.

First off, prepare. Like anything else you need a few things to get you used to running at night.

Sleep is the main one. You can't stay up all day then expect to make a 12-14 shift at night. Get some sleep. If you have a steady night shift like me get adjusted to sleeping during the day. Even on weekends. If you don't have a steady night shift try to sleep as much as possible. Black out your sleeper/bedroom as daylight will want to keep you up.

Next is your truck. Make sure you do a proper pretrip. Lights are a must. MAKE SURE THEY WORK. Always carry extra bulbs and know how to replace them. Do a good pretrip on the major things like oil, coolant, tires, brakes, ect. If you gotta call road repair expect to wait a bit longer as you are probally waking the guy up.

Some other good things to carry are a good flashlight, a good safety vest, water in addition to your other drinks and a long sleeve shirt or jacket. Remember it cools off at night, 70 and sunny can turn to 40 and windy real quick at night.

One last thing to have which is a must. Sunglasses....yes sunglasses. Sunsets and sunrises happen everyday. They also make visablity poor. Sunrises imo are worse as you have been in the dark all night now you have this bright orange ball in your face.

Now that we're ready, let's roll.

As the rush hour traffic starts to wind down you will still find slowdowns and jams. Construction is another big issue as a lot of roadwork runs from 8-9p to 4-6a. Make sure to slow down and use extra caution as workers can be hard to see and tend to work closer to the travel lanes. Also expect more wildlife such as deer to be a bit more daring.

As traffic thins out you will find yourself with more room on the roads. Enjoy. This is the best perk about running at night. Use that cruise control but stay vigalant, anything can still happen. Limit distractions like gps, your phone, radios. Not saying don't change stations but don't be trying to check your email or facebook just cause you have the road to yourself.

Try to limit high beam use to only when you can see no other cars ahead of you, traveling in either direction. If another driver passes you please turn off your lights or use the dimmer to signal they are clear. I don't want to beat a dead horse but the high beam flash is really annoying.

Winter brings its own fun. A nice day can go bad quick when the sun goes down. Rain turns to ice and snow. Snow melt turns into black ice. Temps can go from the 40's to the teens. Be prepared. Use extra caution.

Drunks, there out at night. Always try to watch the driving habits of the cars on the road. Swerving, speeding up and slowing down, eratic lane changes. If you think someone is drunk, call the cops. It might save a life. Also get away from the person. Slow down if you must. Don't put yourself in danger either.

Tired drivers can be just as bad. Keep your eye out.

Gotta pee? This can get tricky. Usually the rest areas are packed solid and the truck stops have no parking. The fuel island can be empty. If you go that route park further away and don't take forever. Five minutes is ok, a shower and dinner isn't. Dont forget to do a walk around when coming back to make sure no one messed with your truck. Side of the road isn't a good idea, or legal, but a lot of us have done it in an emergency. The bottle method is at your discrestion.

Lastly if you feel your eyes getting heavy, park and take a nap. A 20 minute nap can work wonders. If your very tired, get some real sleep. Last thing we need is you asleep at the wheel. For those times when your not tired but feeling a bit blah, get out and run around the truck a bit. Do some jumping jacks, get the old ticker pumping. Blood flow and aderialine help keep the sleepies away. A phone conversation (hands free of course) also helps as it keeps the mind active. Just know who to call and who not to. Don't call your mom at 0230 when you know she is sleeping.

Ok I know I forgot a few things, I'll update as I think of them. Driving at night is not much different than the day except for a few things. It comes with its own challanges and rewards. Let the solar powered guys have the day and enjoy being a full time vampire.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. airforcetoo

airforcetoo Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Up in the air
    And stop if you need to. It's better to be 15, 20, 30, 300 minutes late than not at all cause you fell asleep and woke up in a ditch rollovered ... seen too many trucks in ditches ...

4. lilrich

lilrich Light Load Member

May 2, 2013
    phoenix AZ
    nicely put thread and love the end part
    lol I vant to suk ur bloooood!
    ok so what is a driver that drives night and day ? solar powered vamp? or just a familiar

airforcetoo and HotH2o Thank this.
  5. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    The drunks, and tired drivers aren't that bad.

It the darn truck drivers, yakking or texting away.

And That is a darn shame.....

DrtyDiesel and airforcetoo Thank this.
  6. ladytruckerjenn

ladytruckerjenn Bobtail Member

May 3, 2013
    corpus christi, texas
    That was great. I am the night driver in this team. I love it! Most of the weigh stations are closed and less traffic on the road. The hardest part is the hours between 4 and 6 am. That's when you really start dragging but its also the nicest view watching the sun rise. . Especially in Arizona, Montana, and Wyoming. Coffee has become my friend! I also have other night driver friends that I met along the way and we keep each other awake. Be safe out there

amiller, airforcetoo and Chase05 Thank this.
  7. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    OK, this is so obvious, that it doesn't need to be mentioned. But I'm going to remind you anyway. Night time visibility is much different than in the day time. You come upon things in the road that are much harder to see at night.
    In Utah, we have areas that have an 80 MPH speed limit. If your truck is even capable of driving the 75 to 80 MPH speed limits, remember, speed limits are set for optimum conditions. At night, your visibility is less than optimum. S L O W D O W N. Inclement weather further cuts your visibility at night. Don't drive over your head.

8. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    What is this daylight you talk about?

The most important thing is to keep your eyes moving. It's hard since there isn't a lot to see at night but staring is bad. I always look around at any lights I can see off the side of the road, signs, checking my lights in my mirrors and your gauges to keep your eyes active as well as your brain. Staring off, especially at the road can make you tired real quick.

Shoestring Thanks this.
  9. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    Oh but there's nothing more fun than running 75 or 80 in Wyoming or Utah coming around the bend and seeing that sea of brake lights and laying it over. It depends on the area. I80 through Nebraska aside from the deer 70-75 is an okay limit no winding roads fairly flat and when the moons out you can almost drive without your headlights off. As for driving on the little 2 and 4 lane highways traffic has a lot to do with it. After about an hour or so of absolute desolate highway and not passing a car (Wyoming western Nebraska ya know BFE?!?!) Your eyes adjust and day can quite possibly become night given that you're not the type that keeps their dash lights bright. Surprised the op didn't say anything about dimming dash lights. Believe it or not it does help I keep mine low...almost black just enough light I can see the needles on oil pressure water temp and my speed. That's all you need. Also make sure you have your dash MEMORIZED and your cab MEMORIZED its never a good situation when you come up to an exit forget your Jake isn't on and go fumbling through the dash trying to find the switch. The signaling when being passed shut your lights OFF and then turn then ON no flashof the high beams and as far as I'm concerned that dimmer that is on some trucks is Judas as bad. Either that or don't do anything were professionals right we should be able to judge distance at all times.

Also for the idiots passing that think its fun to drive with their brights or fog lights on adjust your mirror so its not reflecting in your eyes. These people are worse than people coming head on at you who won't shut their brights off. So just adjust your mirror. If you run a flatbed and are on a desolate 2 lane and have spot lights on your cab quick way to check your straps is to kick the spot light on while going around a curve. I have done it a few times when there was no safe place to pull over or off and check my load. It works just don't get caught. And don't drive with your ####### fog lights on when its not foggy!!! If you can't see with just your headlights don't run nights!!! I don't care how much better you can see it doesn't do you any good when you are blinding the rest of us. And if you do choose to drive with your fogs on don't complian to the rest of us that don't shut our brights off for you. Common courtesy goes a long way especially at night. Keep your radio on and on 19 you don't have to talk on it but listen be aware just like daytime accidents happen and that radio can save your behind. Definitely helps with weather as well were in tornado season now listen for weather reports at night check the weather often storms or not, during the winter its a death sentence at night driving through snow and ice without your radio on. One slick spot and you're done. I hit a patch of ice Bob tailing in Nashville one night because I had my radio on 18 instead of 19 luckily nothing happened kicked over to 19 and a driver was talking about a patch of ice right on the bridge yep found it.

Also if by some chance you break down at night when setting up your triangles hold your triangles between you and traffic!!! I have seen drivers not do this and its a good way to get yourself killed. After setting your triangles up walk around the PASSENGER side of your truck instead of the drivers side. I have seen drovers do this as well once again pull your head out of you ###!

Driving nights is fun, I'd rather run nights than days even though its hard on your body. It is a lot more enjoyable than running days and a lot less traffic has more dangers but those are negligible when it comes to rush hour during the day.
    Driving nights is better than pounding pavement during the day just be careful and have fun. Its prettier too specially with all them purity chicken trucks out there haha.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  10. KW Cajun

KW Cajun Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Copperhead Road
    I run mostly vampire hours. Great job including the sunglasses. Yep, sun-up can be blinding & brutal if you're pointed east. Another stressful hurdle is navigating wet & shiny looking blacktop, while the supposedly white "reflective" lane marking are so worn out that they're virtually invisible. Can make it "interesting" while passing/being passed, in a rainstorm, especially around curves.:biggrin_25525:

STexan Thanks this.
  11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    On two lane roads, especially later in the night, when you're meeting an oncoming vehicle, first thing you should do (as soon as it's possible) is determine if the vehicle is in their lane, the sooner you can determine this, the better. If it looks marginal or that they are on the line or worse, then you obviously need to move to the right as far as possible and prepare for anything. Possible a quick flash of the lights to wake them up. It's easy to assume all oncoming traffic is awake and not drifted out of their lane, but in the wee hours of the morning, this should not be taken for granted. And the same thing goes with passing another vehicle on the interstate. if they are not well centered in their lane or weaving slightly, assume they are tired and keep notice of their position during the entire pass and be prepared to do what you may have to do given the situation.

KW Cajun and jowsuf Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.