SoCAl Flatbed company that trains? (Starter Co)

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Shardrk, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Shardrk

Shardrk Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2011
    Macon, GA
    Ok folks. I'm about to go blind here :biggrin_2552:from looking at the threads and individual companies. :)

Looks like my Roadmaster funding is about to be approved. I've had 6 months OTR a LONG time ago, but have to (re)pay my dues. I have no problem with that. I WOULD like to pay my dues driving for a flatbed company that hires from the Hemet (Riverside - Fontana - etc) area. AND I'd rather it be with a company where I can (re)learn the basics of loading and securement for safety. It's been a LONG time since my Werner trainer and I talked about skateboarding. And truthfully, I didn't get much instruction in that area. I've seen a few (including a couple that I frown when I think about) including:

Swift
    Prime
    McElroy
    System Transport
    Roehl (maybe in this area?)
    PGT (maybe in this area?)
    Sherman Brothers (curtainside and glass only this area?)
    Watt & Stewart (maybe in this area?)
    (Werner - been there, done that, still had the cap a few months ago, still have logbooks and no I do NOT know WHY I kept them. :lol )

I've eliminated several as they seemed to focus on eastern half of states only. If you can think of any others to recommend, or reasons why you would eliminate (or downgrade) any of these, your help would be most appreciated. I have the instinct for securing loads going as far back as 1974 when two and two only motorcycles didn't slip their bonds and crash to the deck of the ship coming down the coast. Mine and a friends that I tied up. Of course, tarping my pickup this last move could have been better. :biggrin_2556: But nothing flew out of the truck. :yes2557: Still, was a good thing I didn't have to go THRU that chicken coop. :yes2557: My long term goal is (still) to have my name on the door within 2 years of my getting back on the road. And more and more flatbed just feels right. I taught folks for 8 years and that scared me more every day than this idea does. I can do this.

Shar

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Guitar Man

Guitar Man Medium Load Member

Sep 29, 2006
    State Of Confusion
    Watkins and Shepard has flatbed,although I don't know if they'd put you in one right out of the chute? TMC will, if your in their hiring area. Ditto for Boyd Bros.Melton I think wants 2 months exp.,but maybe they'd wave that seeing as you do have prior exp. from way back when? Good luck my man!

Shardrk Thanks this.
  4. Joker85

Joker85 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Phoenix Az
    western express but they suck

Shardrk Thanks this.
  5. FwL

FwL Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Sandpoint, ID
    Definitely worth your while to look into System Transport.

Shardrk Thanks this.
  6. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    I think your best bet would be Swift or System. You can try Prime and see if they hire flatbed in your area. With Watkins and Shepard you get put on a waiting list after a certain amount of period of service there.

KH

Shardrk Thanks this.
  7. Shardrk

Aug 14, 2011
    Macon, GA
    Joker: Thanks

FwL: I see that door sign ya got there. :yes2557: And I've been getting that feeling. How is their training (if any) on securement. As the saying goes, "I've got a hole there big enough to drive a Mack Truck thru."

Challenger: Thanks. Your post completely matches the impressions I've gotten, mostly from reading these boards.

Shar

8. Shardrk

Aug 14, 2011
    Macon, GA
    :yes2557: Looks like it's off to Phoenix for class with Swift on 9/3.

Not looking forward to the state to state to state license shuffle, and hoping it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg for all the shuffling when all is said and done, but it is what it is.

With a bit of luck, once I go solo, there will be an opening in their flatbed division. We shall see.:biggrin_25520:

Shar

9. Shardrk

Aug 14, 2011
    Macon, GA
    Finished Swift Academy, got my Class A back, and 2nd week of October go back to Phoenix for Orientation and Flatbed training. For the record, I was truly impressed by the Phoenix Academy staff and their performance. After the initial long long delay getting into the hotel room from arrival at bus station, everything was as advertised. Looking forward to going back. :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.