Solar Panels on Trucks and Trailers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dice1, Mar 14, 2013.

1. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

Is that the primary reason for him installing the solar panels? How long will the solar power/batteeries run the a/c or heat? Any idea about the cost?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. VisionLogistics

VisionLogistics Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Jellystone
    I could see the benefit IF he installs a battery box with an array of deep cycle batteries. Otherwise it's limited to the capacity of the current batteries on the truck, which would be the same as shutting down for the night an running out of "juice" after turning on the microwave, etc.

Needs a separate battery box, which will be heavy! Thanks for the pics.

4. pawpaw1

pawpaw1 Medium Load Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Dallas,Ga.
    Too much money , too little common sense . Must be a Big Brother Grant behind this. Or a rich wannabe.

5. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    He already has 8 batteries hooked up to an electric sleeper AC/Heat system.

VisionLogistics Thanks this.
  6. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    Cheaper than an APU and doesn't burn ANY FUEL.

What is wrong with being innovative with new technology?

I am sure the blacksmith said those cars that Henry Ford was making would never replace the horse and buggy too!

I am just glad people like JW are willing to share the knowledge and the experience for others to use.

n3ss, yotaman, Rawze and 4 others Thank this.
  7. VisionLogistics

VisionLogistics Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Jellystone
    Any pics of the batts? I'm curious where they are and how heavy.

8. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    I don't have any pics of his batteries, but I am sure they are on the opposite side as the 4 oringinal batteries.

9. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    Being that I am going solar as well I can say that what is in my plans will weigh only 500 pounds max for the entire system including batteries, solar does not need sunshine, cloudy days can still provide for what I intend and being the cold frozen north is not in my plans snow or other problems blocking the panel is no issue.

For less than the cost of a APU anyone can go solar, also my system docks.

mnmover Thanks this.
  10. pawpaw1

Sep 9, 2011
    Dallas,Ga.
    Cheaper ? How much did that setup cost ? He install it himself ? I figure my time is worth about $20.00 per hour. Cheapest shop I have in my area is $65.00 per hour , most are over $100.00.
    Stationary panels last maybe 5 years , before needing replacement. Granted , I haven't looked into it lately , and technology changes .
    That said , how long those panels gonna last , going down the road ? Do a weekend layover in Houston , when its Hot , Humid , and Cloudy . A bank of batteries will last Maybe 10 hours . What then ?
    What if One cell shorts ? You're on the road . What then ?
    Seriously, though. I own 8 Duplex apartments , they lay in full sunshine , with large roof areas . They all have efficient Heat Pumps . The cost of outfitting them for solar was astronomical . The payback was " Dream On " . The maintaince required , over a 20 year cycle , was incredible. If I had had No mortgages , and needed Huge write offs , and could find tenants who would actually be Partners in an endeavor like that , maybe it would have been worth a try.
    reality , though , was it was " Pie in the Sky " to even think about.
    I wish your friend good luck. Maybe , in his situation , it will work for him. For the other 99.9% of us , it's still " Pie in the Sky ".

11. pawpaw1

Sep 9, 2011
    Dallas,Ga.
    well , lets look at this . An APU weighs less than 500 lbs . Installed cost is what , 8 grand for a decent one , 10 grand for the Best. They come with a warranty , some 2 years . They are pretty much a mature technology , now. They have shore power , if you like that hassle. I don't.
    A bank of 4 of the best batteries will set you back 2 grand . And that's for AGM . The newer , lighter lithium ones are a lot more. One year warranty on the batteries , probably pro-rated . And , you have to take then back to the original seller , or the same chain store , for warranty. One weak battery in your set , causes problems . Then you have to find that one weak one.
    Most of us don't have the option of never going into the great , frozen north. With the new regs for cleaning the top of your trl of snow , what happens to your panels ? Kinda fragile , aren't they ?
    Solar does not need sunshine ? They must have made some great advances , in the last couple of years . A mildly cloudy day would cut their output by about 75% , last I looked into them.
    Using shore power in a TS is an option , if it is available. You still have to pay for it. And , that electricity still has to be generated . And I'll wager they ain't using solar panels to generate it. BTW , I don't know , maybe you do . What do the TS charge for shore power ? Not their " specials " , but their normal rate ? I doubt you'll save any money over what a , say , TriPac costs to run.
    And , you are probably hooked to the same trailer all the time. Good for you. I can't see any companies outfitting all their trailers with solar panels. Where would you put panels on a tank ? A flatbed ? A covered wagon? A pneumatic ? A car carrier ?
    I'd like to see , say , in 5 years , what your Real total cost of operating your system will be. That would include initial cost , maintaince , shore power total costs , for when you hook to it , time involved in arranging hookup at each location , ( time is money ) , etc.
    I'll stick to an APU. My life is complicated enough. LOL!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.