Solo Driving: Worth it?

Discussion in 'PAM' started by airforcetoo, Jan 18, 2012.

1. airforcetoo

airforcetoo Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Up in the air
    ... I just talked with this one guy I met in orientation in one of our Texas' yards and he told me he was only averaging 900 miles a week ...:biggrin_25513: ... how's that even possible?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    I can't speak for that guy, or the company.

But I had a casual conversation with my dispatcher the other week. She claimed we had a guy on our board that WOULD NOT run more than 300 miles a day....period.

Many of the horror stories are caused by the driver themselves. Others by dysfunctional companies. You just have to sort it out. And the only real way to do that is work for them, sadly.

airforcetoo Thanks this.
  4. airforcetoo

Oct 4, 2011
    Up in the air
    yeah; it kinda seemed as if there was more to the story than that... maybe he just was late on loads a many times or something ... don't know how that works though; any dispatchers on here that can enlighten us please?

5. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    I'm not a dispatcher...but I can address that.

If a driver is consistently late. He'll eventually be terminated. If they keep the driver, which some do, they'll put him/her on "slow boats to china" for loads.

Sometimes, it's a logistics issue. The driver being in a bad area.

Other times (and you'll see hell freeze over before they admit it) dispatchers or load planners dislike a driver, and try to starve them into quitting.

And then, there is the famous wait for the money dispatch. They get you into an area with LOTS of freight. But it won't even cover the cost of fuel. So you sit.....waiting.

Companies SAVE money by letting you sit, rather than taking freight at too cheap a rate. It's the nature of the beast.

6. airforcetoo

Oct 4, 2011
    Up in the air
    Really!?!? so even if you're a good driver you can get stuck in any of these.... how does the dispatch part work ... like ... the whole process of 'OK, here's a gig and now we gotta look on this computer screen to see who's where" and so on and so on ... ?

7. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    In the majority of the larger operations, dispatch doesn't handle this, per se.

Dispatch sends a list of trucks in a load planners area.

A load planner shoots a list of loads available within an acceptable distance of you, then your dispatcher tries to hook you up with the best possible load.

Your dispatcher may have to put you on a load that needs moving immediately. Or they may be given some leeway. They are not the one who decides this every time. They're the ones that get the angry phone calls from drivers though.

Just because you are sitting in NYC looking at a Tucson, AZ load. There may be a load going to Miami, then a secondary load going to Tucson after you're empty.

Either scenario will have a high probability of some wait time while in Tuscon. Which would you rather have?

While you're thinking about that. Keep in mind, you WILL NOT be able to see the follow up load coming out of Miami, to Tucson.

IF your dispatcher has the experience and the foresight. You move along rather well. And you both make money.

Keep in mind....#### happens. A million things can go wrong within an hour. And have you taken off of a preplan.

airforcetoo Thanks this.
  8. airforcetoo

Oct 4, 2011
    Up in the air
    So, is it safe to say that, in some occasions you can be pre-planned in so far in advance as much as a week? If so the case then, it would be fair to say that a good dispatcher is someone who always has a plan B whereas a bad dispatcher would be someone who strictly sticks to the plan because we all know that $#!t happens on the road and regardless of your best efforts sometimes your plan doesn't work out the way you want it too... being on that side of the fence interests me ... I wouldn't want to do it, cause I'm happy where I am, but just to see how they work would be kool ...

9. Rollin2003

Rollin2003 Light Load Member

May 9, 2011
    Do like I used to do...
    Sitting empty in NJ I would ask do you have a TX load.
    She would say I'll look, then magically I got a TX load.
    That doesn't always happen, but if it's there why not give it to me.
    Work with your DM and things happen.
    Like miles and hometime.

airforcetoo Thanks this.
  10. airforcetoo

Oct 4, 2011
    Up in the air
    Hey Rollin; so would you say that it's a good thing to call them up on the phone? Sometimes I try to avoid that cause I know they got like a million other drivers to tend to, that probably are just calling to 8!t<# ...

11. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Work it any way you want. Sometimes a gentle push on the qualcomm is all it takes.

Your dispatcher has enough going on already. I prefer to hold that phone call until I'm ready to put a size 12 up somebody's ###.

airforcetoo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.