Solution if you lock your keys in your truck...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Newtrucker11, Jan 28, 2014.

1. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    I keep a spare in my wallet. And another in my laptop bag

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    On any truck with a wing window rotating latch you can just use a pair of vice grips. That latch is basically just a bolt that runs through it, and it's not very tight. I've had to do this so many times that you can #### near turn it by hand now

4. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    I just don't lock mine ever

5. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    always had a spare key in my wallet...also a spare zip-tied under the hood. redundancy...

6. Badcable

Badcable Medium Load Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Outside Chicago, IL
    The doors are recessed into the body and full of rubber gasket material. You need a door spreader (two peices of plate bent right and a screw) to pull the door out enough to get in there with a wonderstick and either hit the switch, or pull on the lock itself. My normal door wedges just rip the gasket material up, the door spreader works, but is quick to cause damage too.

Easier to get into a car these days, their door glass is much cheaper ;)

7. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    ON FL columbias you can reach a hanger in the driver side vent window (the triangle one) and hit the power window switch. I thought they were a lot more then 17 dollars. I might buy a spare if they are that cheap.

8. flash1994

flash1994 Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2013
    oakley California
    This might not work for all trucks but i accidentally opened the wrong truck one time, why not just look for someone with the same make and model and have them open it?

9. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Same make... the keys aren't universal between models. X number of key 1234 will be used for model A, Y number will be used for model B, etc. Now some fleets might have all trucks of a certain make and model keyed the same, but that's a decision the carrier makes.
    I remember when I locked myself out of a Freightliner Columbia at a truck stop once, the guy who had a matching key to my truck ran a Classic XL. After that, I made sure never to do it again.

flash1994 Thanks this.
  10. Dewey120

Dewey120 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Southern California
    This is true. Had a driver lock himself out of his Columbia and he asked for my Century key and it worked just fine. I accidentally locked myself out of my truck at a customer dock when I was doing a blind side back and was doing a GOAL. My arm brushed up against the door lock nob and as soon as my door slammed shut I knew I messed up. Luckily one driver had a slim Jim and he opened my door in about two seconds.

I keep a spare key underneath my hood now in a small magnetic key holder. Even when I get the engine steamed cleaned it stays in place.

11. camaro68

camaro68 Medium Load Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Tennessee
    So if you park your truck for the weekend. All anyone has to do is look at the vin number through the windshield. Go to the dealer, get the key made and then drive off. It's that simple? Might as well just leave the truck unlocked.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.