Some job hopping and a year in a charter bus has sunk me

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Voyager1968, Jan 27, 2020.

1. JForce28

JForce28 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Check out National Carriers

Voyager1968 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    If you’re still interested in bus driving, my old employer AJL International was looking for a couple of drivers a few weeks ago, they called me and tried to get me back. They’re running regularly scheduled runs from Dallas to New Orleans, and Dallas to San Antonio. Good pay, I was tempted...

4. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Those are great runs, and while I would LOVE to get out of Pennsylvania and live in a milder climate, my wife is too deeply rooted in her home state to ever consider leaving, thus, the only way I could do it would be via divorce. Thanks for the advice, though!

baha and tarmadilo Thank this.
  5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Yes recent truck experience is vital for most trucking jobs. They are hiring strangers. You or I could be raging/stumbling heroin addicts for the last year AFTER 20 years of safe driving. It's their money and insurance we can do what they want or start our own company. Jim Palmer Trucking was going to give me credit for having a valid CDL and allow me to spend 40,000 miles with a trainer. My sin? I had been driving a daycab for 18 years instead of sleeping in a truck stop every night. 2.5 million safe miles wasn't important.

6. flybynight12

flybynight12 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2015
    slc
    There is though when I can get a friends kid into ups without a cdl and they are willing to train him and get his cdl there is a shortage my name and track record isn't that powerful

7. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Which was part of the reason for my post. To educate those who think they can move around a lot as long as they have a clean record. It'll work for awhile, but just as easily it will catch up to you as it has me. Even though I am safely driving commercially, and I have a clean record with no accidents, tix, or cargo claims, the hopping and being in a different seat for a year+ has caught up to me. Is it insurmountable? I don't know. But it has become very difficult to get back in.

brian991219 and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Western Express is a 2nd chance company. Did you try those others?
    Home - Western Express
    www.westernexp.com

9. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Magnum will hire you. Might put you out with a trainer for a week or two as a refresher or they might just give you a truck but they will hire you. You’ll make decent money there too and have a truck with an inverter, apu, and a fridge.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I recommended Magnum in Post #11, but don't know if he submitted an app. or not.

11. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    Freight really picks up after tax deadline around April. Everyone has tax return money and the market gets some stimulation. Probably a good time to buy a truck is right now or way later around December 2 months after freight really slows down and many dummies that decided to buy a shiny new truck go belly up for not saving and losing $$$ by undercutting others.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.