Some negotiate some don't

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Dino soar, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Gotta know what to say.
    When a broker calls and says he's got a load from (example) LA to Denver immediately look up the lane and see what loads are posted for.
    I tell the broker flat out what a bunch of similar loads are posted for and not moving as they're still on the board.
    If a bunch of loads are posted for $4000 I'll tell the broker I want $4,500 being loads posted for $4,000 on the board running that lane aint moving.

If they complain and say thats too much I tell them that's fine I can call those posted loads and haul one of them instead for my rate or close to it while your load can sit.

Sometimes brokers don't know what others are offering, if you know what their competition is paying you can use that to your advantage.

86scotty and blacklabel Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I think the whole thing requires a lot of grit to make phone call after phone call and really stick to your guns.

On one hand if you are fortunate enough to find the load that's got to go you can get a good price for it.

On the other hand the market is what it is and there really is only a certain amount that the load will go for. You always want to try to get to the top part of that.

But I will say this. I always make sure whatever I get is well above the average. At least in this market don't take the average. If they offer you the average or less make more calls.

You want to be the guy that makes the average go up not down.

drivinhome, Siinman and User666 Thank this.
  4. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Exactly. Brokers are always pushing down. It’s our responsibility to always pushing up. Unfortunately, the majority just swim around somewhere in the middle and let the rest of us do the heavy lifting.

drivinhome, p608 and Siinman Thank this.
  5. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Man you got a bad broker rep at CHR if that is the case. Request someone else. My Rep has been great from the first week I used him. Still do a lot of my loads with him.

6. Siinman

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Did you give the COVID 19 best $1.50 rate? Or did you give the rates that was contracted before?

User666 Thanks this.
  7. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    I don't know about you guys...but, my negotiation skills are pretty darn good right now:D

PPDCT and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. Siinman

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Agreed $2500 a day rate regardless of miles last week. Ha ha most was 300-550 miles. Was a great last two weeks.

PPDCT Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.