Some numbers for new O/O

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by DUNE-T, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Not that expensive. Check out ATRO brand silicone bushings.

77fib77 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Correction -Polyurethane bushings.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  4. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Are they hard to put in/on?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Arcana

Arcana Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Missouri
    Well said, I work for a small fleet owner. He has 6 company trucks and 4 o/o leased on to him. I have no idea how he stays in business. The repairs are insane! I had no idea how much freight is zooming around this country. He is down to 4 company drivers right now and it's really hurting him to the point where he's thinking of jumping in a truck to haul ethanol. He's been driving since the 70s. Got his authority in 2010. Just started his own business last Sept. We try to do 4k to the truck every week, which is what he needs. Right now I spend all day staring at the boards trying to find decent paying loads. We got them all over 5k this week, but it took looking days in advance. A trucker just doesn't have that kind of time to sit looking for loads. Our o/o dispatch themselves and they're doing horrible right now. They're barely getting 3k a week. Fleet owner takes 10% of their loads. If we dispatch it's 15%.

I know it seems like dispatching is easy, but it's a pain in the ###. The brokers never know the dimensions of the load. They often don't know how late they load out or how late the receiver stays open. In the time they take to try to find out the load is booked by someone else. You get the load and all of a sudden it's gone or not ready etc...They wait 3 or 4 hours to tell you that and now it's the end of the day and you got to take whatever ####ting load you can find now.

6. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    ^^ sounds like y’all should get out while you still can. With freight rates at record highs- if y’all ain’t making it now you’ll be going bankrupt in the next cycle.

7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Ruthless said it right but I'll add a little something. A lot of people jumped on the trucking bandwagon a couple of years ago when things were going good. That was fine but it created an over supply of small trucking companies. Brokers know that and they take advantage of it.
    If you're depending on load boards and dealing with brokers you've never used before you're skating along the edge of trouble.
    If you don't already have a base list of steady customers that you're hauling direct for you are already on the skids.
    This might be a good time for your boss to think about getting out of the game entirely. Things aren't going to get better anytime soon. Better to cash out now than to go entirely broke and lose everything.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  8. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Yes, yes! Please get out while you can! ;-)

REO6205 Thanks this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ve done all except rear springs hanger bushings .Shop used special Mobil press made just for that job. It was worth the labor. Haven’t done front springs yet or 5th wheel will change and rebuild Holland looks fairly simple

10. Arcana

Arcana Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Missouri
    We have regular brokers that we work with, but their loads are drying up so you just got to seek out new pools to draw from. My boss has been trucking for a long time and is pretty savvy he'll be fine.

Mooseontheloose and REO6205 Thank this.
  11. Arcana

Arcana Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Missouri
    We're making it just fine
    Yeah from reading these boards it sounds like people would rather deter other people from being in the business than offering anything helpful.

joseph1853, Cdubb and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.