Some numbers for new O/O

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by DUNE-T, Aug 23, 2018.

1. kindastupid

kindastupid Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2018
    Yup, they really screwed me. I will never call Western Branch Diesel in Ashland, Va again

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Montanaland

Montanaland Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2010
    H-town
    Ive been an O/O since August and have been lucky to have been assigned to a dedicated 500mi round trip spent acid run. 2$ mile..21k a month after fuel..now im around 16k mo. 5k for minor repairs and a raised 5th wheel. Im ready for a load board and no forced dispatch. With only 6mo otr experience...any suggestions??

4. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Stay where you at.

5. Montanaland

Montanaland Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2010
    H-town
    ..but i only want to work 7mo a year and tankers arent flexible at all.

6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    You can try in May, but right after the holidays is not a good time to start playing with loadboard

7. Cybercat

Cybercat Medium Load Member

Oct 17, 2014
    East Tn
    Dune-T is right. Stay put till May. Loadboard is erratic and you want the time on when loads are abundant. You will be best to figure what you wish to run as van, refer or flat are all very different and tanker more so.

Bean Jr. and Montanaland Thank this.
  8. 2 CHAINS

2 CHAINS Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2018
    The excuse for last 8yrs for not fixing highways is the cost of a barrel of oil and we need to raise gas tax to have the funds in the highway bill. Well guess what gas was 3 gal then . Now its 2.50 so now what is the excuse. Ill tell you its politicians robbing funds from these accts with IOUs like they do with SS and they dont pay it back. To justify raising taxes to repeat the process

9. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Keep what you got, stay there till it runs out. Bird in your hand is better than the two in the bush.
    Grass us only greener on other side. Because thats where the septic tank is.

10. Highandslow87

Highandslow87 Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2018
    Hello all. I am a new O/O like literaly my 3rd month.

I run a 01 Pete 379 with a N14 1mill on the clock and no in frame as of yet. I was a heavy line mechanic for 10 years before I decided to get in the truck. So I can justify buying a truck like this. Truck only cost 24k

Truck payment is 817
    Trailer is 400
    Insurance is 912
    Fuel so far is 1600 a month.
    I own my house and I have two car payments.
    So basically everything in total is just shy of 5800 a month.

I shoot for 4500 a week I only run 7 states i am in the desert Southwest. Try and stay out of Cali as much as possible due to the CARB emissions BS. I don't want a 1k fine or worse truck impounded.

After all my bills are paid I split everything into thirds for the business.

My wife dose the dispatching she is a stay at home mom so she can look at the load boards all day.

What I don't understand is how you can have 17k in bills a month. I don't even know how you can justify 2k a month in repairs. If you are just setting that aside then I don't consider that a bill you are putting money back into your business.

If your savey you can get everything for your truck and trailer super cheap. Good used parts are alot cheaper then new.

The only way I see 5k a month fuel bill is if you run all 48.

I am not saying that the figures posted are wrong and I am sure in some cases they are dead on but for alot of guys I don't think that's true.

Just my two cents.

And I am sure someone is going to say that I am wrong and it's inpossible the numbers I run but believe me it can be done. Just a lot of hard work and dedication.

wright784 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.