Some of you guys are making it hard.

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by RubberDuck473, Aug 6, 2021.

1. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    I really liked driving through South Dakota, it's probably my favorite state to drive in. I like I-80 all the way through Iowa because that stretch is the best for truck parking it's very truck friendly with rest areas every 30 minutes.

I drove through the Northwest during the winter time with light dry van loads. You just have to monitor the weather. I can understand why a company would want to avoid unecessary downtime though. Still, it is really nice driving the Northwest during the summer months. Even winter it's not like it's bad everyday. Sometimes you get lucky with good weather lol.

Did you drive for Danny Herman Speed_Drums? If so do they have automatic shut off for their trucks after 5 minutes or will the trucks idle if you don't shut them off?

I ask because obviously I would use the APU but at my old company the first truck I got was a POS and the APU broke down on me and the temps got into the high 30's that night. Not enough to kill you but it sure would've been nice to have been comfortable all night with heat by letting my truck idle in that situation.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RubberDuck473

RubberDuck473 Light Load Member

May 2, 2021
    Texas
    At Magnum, I'd say I averaged about 2500 miles a week. Give or take. They also had more than ample time to deliver loads, and after the 1st couple tries getting them to bump up the appt times so I wasn't sitting so much, I just gave up and enjoyed the downtime. I had loads there where I sat in the docks at shipper and rec for more hours than it took drive hours to deliver the load.
    Hometime there was very liberal. They preferred you stay out at least 3 weeks. I was told by Uncle Tony (their receuiter) that they had a mix of drivers who would stay out 3 weeks, take a week off, stay out 6 weeks and take 4 days off, and ones that would stay out 6 months and take 2 days off. I would generally stay out 6-8 weeks and take anywhere from 5-14 days off. Like I said, very liberal with hometime.

4. RubberDuck473

May 2, 2021
    Texas
    I read the Schuster thread, seemed like an OK place. Was about to add it to my short list when I read they only use Internationals. Headed for the short list and missed it by *that* much lol. That's the reason why I never gave Poly a chance, even tho they are headquartered close to home. I will never drive an international. Ever.

Whatagal Thanks this.
  5. Speed_Drums

Speed_Drums Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2014
    I don't drive for Danny Herman but I have already read previous posts about the company. There used to be an avid poster for the company a few years ago on TTR. @coueshunter was his nickname. If I remember right the Kenworths were all automatics but there were some Freightliners that were still manual. I don't know if they converted all the fleet to automatics, but I think so. There is a few permalinks posted below that might be helpful.

Danny Herman Trucking's customers (who are they?)

Rocks Thanks this.
  6. BM 58

BM 58 Heavy Load Member

Jun 25, 2019
    All of the companies that you have mentioned are turds. Fine something besides a mega and you will be a lot happier.

7. Atlaw4u

Atlaw4u Heavy Load Member

Jun 8, 2018
    My brother is quite happy with ABF. He lives in Arlington; is home almost every night with union pay, benefits and a retirement package.

8. BM 58

BM 58 Heavy Load Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Yes. And ABF pays about 30K more than any mega a year.

9. RubberDuck473

May 2, 2021
    Texas
    Was that directed at me? If so is your head up your butt? 3 of the companies I listed have 300 or less trucks on the road, and 4 main terminals between the 3 of them (one has a lot of smaller satellite terminals because they do a lot of ltl). How the [bleep] do you figure any one of them to be a "mega"? Go drive a schoolbus.

10. BM 58

BM 58 Heavy Load Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Go for it then. Any of the above should suit you just fine. I’ll keep driving my private fleet school bus making twice what you will at any of the above.

11. CorsairFanboy

CorsairFanboy Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    What kind of truck is that in the picture? It's not your regular T680. Almost looks like a large car. They seem like a good outfit but their base cpm is a bit low. The trucks look amazing and being able to drive 75 makes the job more fun.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.