Some questions about my mentor

Discussion in 'Swift' started by silentlysailing, Nov 6, 2011.

1. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

See? There's the lesson. Mister and Missus Head Gear really don't care which lane they want. They want to know which two lanes they want...and it will always include the one you and your Big Space-Hogging Truck are in. Don't you realize that texting is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than anything you are doing in your Big Space-Hogging Truck, including avoiding Mister and Missus Head Gear's aluminum and plastic vehicle? You know, the one that's smaller than some of the rocks in your tread?

C'mon. Get with the lesson!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    Here is what I learned yesterday. I am an aggressive ### driver in my pickup. My mentality changes in a 4 wheeler when I know I have great acceleration and maneuverability.

inkeper and PlumFCrazy Thank this.
  4. 60MPH

60MPH Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2010
    HAVE NO IDEA!!!
    They know we are the professionals, so they don't have to pay attention when they are texting :biggrin_25513: I used to blow the BIG HORN when I would see them swerving from texting. But after one darn near hit my drives I gave up that practice :biggrin_25512:

As for the OP I hope she succeeds, she just needs a thicker skin. I know some of the people I deal with on the dock, and let me tell ya they do not go easy on women :biggrin_25524:. And telling the foreman/supervisor will just make it worse. Being able to B.S. in the real world with real people requires a thick skin, a good sense of humor and a dirty mind :biggrin_255:. If you don't have these, you will not last very long on the driving side of this industry.

Injun you are right on as usual.

Injun and PlumFCrazy Thank this.
  5. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    I was actually talking about the "head Gear" wearing, bearded, smell like curry, big rig operators....most commonly on I-5 hailing from Canada...B.C.!

DenaliDad Thanks this.
  6. oc83baker

oc83baker Medium Load Member

Jan 18, 2011
    all 48
    I thought this post would be close by now, I see she still switching mentors, now I am starting to wonder if its the mentor or the student. First off wish u luck with the new mentor. Now a lot of student come on here complaining about the mentor just want to run team, just using them to make money. On my truck when the student reach 50 hrs if I am ok with the way they drive we going full team, that's swift policy not mine. You get your hrs a whole lot faster, and more experience because we moving more, this is not 9-5 and its not Monday to Friday, two person on the truck why is the truck sitting still. Yes the mentor makes more but you also need to realise his expenses also increase, he is using his truck to train everytime you grind that gear his pocket hurts, so he need to be making more to fix the truck later when it break (not if it break) for all the other students reading this whe u go on a mentor truck you are not doing him a favor because he going to run with or without you. He is training you I gaurantee you are driving much better than the day he pick you up. Yes the mentor is to train and he also suppose to be paid, y'all go to these driving school and pay $4000+ but have a problem when the mentor trying to get something for showing you the real world of trucking, driving school is to get you license, you dnt know trucking until you start out with the trainer.

Hopefully you do well and become a trainer one day and you will understand what they have to deal with.

And when you get with this mentor ease off the bloging for a while, spend some time on the qualcom, the blue binder, backing, (you should have more than 25 backs by now let him know you want to back. Some students come out here and not showing any interest, he won't know unless you ask, (he don't know who you are) if he say no ask again tommorrow (close mouth don't get fed) if you do that they will make you back that truck,

When their is a disagreement end the conversation right there before it lead to an argument, take a walk or something just get your training over with, you don't have to get along with the person you don't have to like the person, after the training chances of you seeing that person again is very slim even if y'all from the same terminal.

dog-c, scottied67, PlumFCrazy and 2 others Thank this.
  7. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    a little bird advised me that our OP has completed her time with mentors.

8. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    It's completely up to her,now, how her stay with Swift will go. I wish her success.

PlumFCrazy Thanks this.
  9. silentlysailing

silentlysailing Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2010
    DFW, TX
    My final mentor(which she was awesome) is willing to run team with me too. So I'll see what options are offered. It just seemed to click. I wasn't encouraged to do anything illegal either. I actually really enjoyed that last part of training. I guess, part of it is that I tend to closely follow the rules and expect common courtesy. I really liked the target account too. Most people seemed pretty friendly on the dock too and I knew exactly what to expect minus some of their older stores lol. Things are definitely looking up.

Tapeworm, dog-c, inkeper and 3 others Thank this.
  10. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

Things finally clicked into place for you. Great and best wishes for a long, "swift" career! :)

11. TooGroovy

TooGroovy Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2011
    igetaround
    Wow, Swift is awesome! I lost count, how many mentors am I allowed? Is there a limit?
    Seriously, though... how can I find out where they hire other than speaking with a mentor yet? And are some terminals better than others?...
    And the fact that they have all those terminals... does that mean that you can park the truck there when you want time off? My sister lives near Wilmington, CA... is that how it works?
    If you chose a "comfort zone" do you make less money?... I have no family obligations so as long as I can be home once a month I don't care about the exact date...
    Appreciate the info...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.