Some questions about the DAT load board.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by John Joel Glanton, Jan 26, 2022.

1. John Joel Glanton

John Joel Glanton Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Texas
    I have the free version just looking around. Interested in becoming an owner operator later this year.

Some loads say for example, Houston - Houston. 0 miles. $11,000. What does this mean? I'm assuming it's out and back?

Some loads have no price. Are they expecting you to call and make an offer?

Do you always try to negotiate on the listed price? Is there a rule of thumb about this like a certain price per mile you aim for?

Just trying to make some sense of this. Any other tips would be great.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jed2009

Jed2009 Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2020
    Midwest
    I have seen examples of City A - City A as a fully loaded round trip, yeah. Or sometimes it’s not accurate at all and you’ll need to call and ask.

Yes many loads don’t show a price. You’re expected to call and get baited. Have an opening price in mind and a bottom price before calling.

There were times for me that the load was listed high enough and it was a great backhaul that I offered their price. Most of the time it was a negotiation. Many times they wouldn’t meet my price and I’d tell them no thanks. A few times they’d call back but usually not.

DAT was definitely worth the $40 a month for me as a new authority OO. Be prepared for brokers to turn you down until you have 1, 3, 6+ months of authority.

John Joel Glanton Thanks this.
  4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Yes, judging by the rate, it sure is a round trip...you start in Houston go to...for instance Portland Maine and then go back to Houston.
    Some have rates some don't. You call on all of them regardless and argue for better money as a matter of good practice.
    The reason some post the rate is that it may be enticing enough at the very start to call that listing first or quite the contrary, it may be a rattle snake warning - like don't call us and expect you'll win a jackpot.

John Joel Glanton Thanks this.
  5. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Join OOIDA. You will get a discount on DAT.

You'll pay a little more but if you get the version that has the 15-day average you'll have a much closer idea of where the prices are.

It's generally low but it's a good barometer for you to gauge at least somewhat where the price should be. Your goal is to always be above whatever that average rate is. Once you know your Market you know how much above that you can be.

And I have to say sometimes it can bite me in the rear end I suppose, but if you see the most incredible load paying the most incredible amount of money you can't believe they're paying that much...

Always call them and ask for more.

ALWAYS ask for more.

6. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    In short, the spot market is like a middle eastern bazaar. You haggle. That’s the fun part of playing the market!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  7. Wespipes

Wespipes Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Personally I rarely call loads that don't have an offer amount on them. I assume they're typically super cheap brokers.

Siinman and John Joel Glanton Thank this.
  8. makterna

makterna Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2021
    Over 95% of the loads on DAT TruckersEdge are fake. EIther they want you to make more drops than what is posted, or they want you to drive more miles than what is posted. Sometimes they just want you as a backup, in case their driver does not show up.

This is entirely DATs fault for not even trying to censor spammy posts. Dont give them your money!

9. makterna

makterna Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2021
    "Fun"? Is it you that advertise all these sofas on OfferUp for $1234?

10. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    You are likely missing out on good loads. I can’t recall, have you been an owner operator long? When times are bad and you’re only willing to call posted loads then your truck probably won’t move or will do so cheaply.

11. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    If it was "good load" the broker would be calling around to get it moved or throw up a good price to get it moved.

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.