Sound Deading, and in cab rattles

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Roanokemassey, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Roanokemassey

Roanokemassey Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2022
    I have 2, 2015 Day cab Coronados with 12.7 Detroit's and 13 spds.
    Air ride front axle, rear suspension and cab.
    Both are 600,000 mile trucks.

Rattles, vibrations, and noise seems to be getting worse by the month.
    No engine, drive train or tire problems.
    1. I am thinking of replacing the rubber floor covering. It's got cracks and the insulation looks crushed.
    2. I am thinking of removing the ceiling and behind the seats interior and installing the stick on sound deading material and reinstalling the interior.
    3. Removing the door interior panels and adding sound deading material too.
    4. Both battery box lids rattle bad. Has anyone changed the way these latch down?
    5. Thinking about taking the entire plastic snap together dash apart and adding sound Deading material to all of the pieces and frames to stop noise.
    Has anyone tried to reduce the noise on these trucktruck? The old 1990s FLDs with 2 million miles are quieter to drive than these Coronados.
    Just asking if anyone has and any suggestions.
    The materials won't cost that much. And my labor is cheep on the weekends.
    If I can make it better for my drivers I want to do it.
    I have replaced the driver seats and getting the leather steering wheels reconditioned
    The trucks are in very good shape for their age, but are getting noisy to drive.
    I would appreciate all suggestion. Except, "what did you expect? You purchased a Freight Shaker" ......dont need that. I know what I have, I just want to spend $ and my time to make them more comfortable.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Rolled asphalt roofing is the cheapest and easiest sound deadening I know of. Just peel and stick on the backs of all the panels, walls, floors and doors you can reach. It adds weight though so keep that in mind.

4. Darklance

Darklance Bobtail Member

May 25, 2019
    Salt Lake City
    I can't see how it can't but help. Wouldn't do the ceiling, don't see how that would much.

Maybe spray the underside of the cab with the spray-on stuff. I imagine a lot of the noise comes from the interior components, like my friend's Columbia, tracking those rattles down would do a lot.

This is concern as far as pulling the interior apart, you could make the noise worse.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Fix the loose parts causing rattles rather than mask the noise?

6. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Are those Coronados built on the Columbia cab or the cascadia cab ?
    I've got a million 50 on my 2013 cascadia and it's Nats ### tight .

7. circle h

circle h Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2020
    I don't know anything about Coronado's, but in most trucks I have developed rattles in changing the cab mounts has always made a huge improvement. Motor mounts also if the rattles are at certain rpms. Make sure to use soft rubber, I always try to get oem and once the dealer sold me some plastic telling me it would last longer. That ended up being money in the trash can.

bzinger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.