Special Alert!!! Truck Driving Schools

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TurboTrucker, Aug 6, 2005.

1. freepims

freepims Bobtail Member

May 1, 2011
    Forest City NC
    I live in nc and wondered where you completed your training, they are asking 3575.00 at my local community college..

thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flyingmusician

flyingmusician Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NC
    3575.00 at a community college? that's ridiculous. don't know what part of NC you're in, but i'm going to davidson county community college at the mocksville campus and the whole program, books, classes, road time and all, was only 925......and that's for 8 weeks of what is proving itself to be an above average program in all respects......

4. ac120

ac120 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Hey, bro. Good to see things are working out for ya. Rock on.

5. flyingmusician

Feb 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NC
    how's it going ac? yeah things moving right along......outstanding program i got into and just past halfway.....and not many bs carriers showing up to recruit....a few, but most of them local and smaller companies that may prove to be better than the usual bfi's.....getting alot of stick time, mountains, in town, downtown.....the school had a good rep going in from my research but has shown it got a good rep for a reason. been very pleased with everything so far. 4 weeks and done

ac120 Thanks this.
  6. ac120

ac120 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2010
    I'm good, thanks. Still get in some Strat time every day, not as much as I'd like. You'll do fine out there and I hope you get a good gig, whether it's local or OTR. Steering and gearing's fun, isn't it? Hey, it's even more fun when you're on your own. You're going to take an axe along, right?

flyingmusician Thanks this.
  7. flyingmusician

Feb 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NC
    of course, probably the black '84 that won't be such a hardship if it gets stolen somehow on the road...no way i take any of the real sweet pieces on the road.....that and a small 25w vox should do the trick.....range exercises are a pain in the ### and they have us doing them over and over and over until we can do them in our sleep but i have to say the courses are setup alot tighter than the 'real world' stuff we have on my dock/staging areas at my current job so i'm going to be more than prepared for the backing......pulling 48's and 53's for roadwork in some #### tight places....downtown winston-salem and high point aren't very truck friendly for sure..... but again, going to be more than prepared for any downtown/smalltown areas i may be driving in and doing 6.5 to 8.5% grades for the mountain stuff.....these cats are very detail oriented and the school requirements to pass are alot more stringent than the DMV requirements for the state.....and they are also certified DMV examiners, so when we do the actual roadwork/backing for the state test, we're going to be more than prepared to get it done.....doing qualifying runs now and they've said i'll qualify early since i have such a good feel for the truck....and then it's hurry up and wait until the end of the month so i can graduate......looking forward to actually being on the road alone instead of with an instructor and 2 other students in the truck scutinizing every shift lol......just wish we had something other than the volvos....not really my favorite truck but really tight trannys with a very precise rpm/speed combination for each gear.....you have to be dead on or it grinds like a #####.....and learning to shift them i should be able to deal with most anything out there......

ac120 Thanks this.
  8. ac120

ac120 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Better than the class I had in 1991. Two weeks on a gravel lot, traffic cones for docks. I backed up three times the first week and twice the second week; would have been three times the second week, but the instructor wanted to break early for lunch!

Oh, Jeeze, don't take a good axe on the road! I left my cherished D-28 at home and dragged a Squier Tele around (awful guitar but better than nothing).

Yeah, you'll qualify easily. Before you know it, you'll be alone in a truck and it'll be as natural for you as breathing. You'll find you're shifting without having to think about it. And backing up will be--there's no other word--fun.

Safe trip.

9. freepims

freepims Bobtail Member

May 1, 2011
    Forest City NC
    I live in forest city and that is the cost at icc isothermal community college that's a big difference in $$$, i appreciate the info. If I decide to go to a school that will more than likely be my choice also.

thanks for the info

I sent an email to the instructor at ICC and this is his response.

The program at Davidson is very different from the one here. We are PTDI Certified and we do "one on one" training in the truck. Truck training at Davidson will include the whole class for range work and 4 students in the truck for road work. Our tuition is $3,575.00 for in-state or out of state. I can't compete with the price but I can compete with the difference in quality

Last edited: May 2, 2011
    flyingmusician Thanks this.
  10. flyingmusician

Feb 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NC
    actually, no, I don't think he can't compete with the quality. not even close. DCCC is also PDTI certified and I haven't been in a truck with more than 2 students max even though at 24 students, we have one of the largest classes they've had in recent memory. I'll put their program up against any anywhere for any price. yes, we do range work as a class, in groups of three to four to spot for whoever is working any of the three to four backing exercises going on at any one time, but that's a safety requirement, not a drawback or a downside. these guys have their act together. they have the good reputation they do for a reason. 3575 is just a ripoff, no matter how they try to spin it. read my previous posts in this thread and you'll see it is a very good program and one i feel is probably underpriced for the level of experience i'm getting. I personally don't find having other students in the truck with me to be a downside....(annoying sometimes, yes, depnding on who is in the truck with me at times lol) but i've learned just as much by observing their screwups and paying attention to the instruction they are getting as well as my own.....we've gotten experience with all types of weather, traffic and road conditions and they don't let anything slide.....you have to be dead on with your shifting, knowledge and safe operation of the vehicle or you don't progress to the next level.....i started my 5th week this morning and before i got in the truck this morning had almost 400 miles seat time already so the class size or format isn't a deterrent to quality of instruction.....coming from a background of almost 2 decades in aviation, i'm very critical of any type of training and how well a person may or may not be trained when they come out of the other end of it, and I highly recommend you look into this program if you are serious about doing it and want value for your dollar. the classes are long, 730-530 every day, but they cram alot into that time as well. if you PM me i'll send you the head instructor's contact information and you can talk to him directly if you want more information, as well as one other student in my class who is a member of this forum who I can put you in touch with. next classes start in august.

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  11. freepims

freepims Bobtail Member

May 1, 2011
    Forest City NC
    Sounds like you are very informed on this and you have convinced me that the class you are in is equivalent if not preceding to the one at icc and one things for sure it's a heck of a lot cheaper.

I will pm you and you don’t know how much I appreciate you sharing the info.

Thanks big time!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.