Speedo fluctuates and cruise and jake won't work

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Hertz309, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Hertz309

Hertz309 Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2017
    I have an 05 pete 379, my speedometer has been fluctuating from 0 to 40, 50, 10 basically all over the place. I've changed the sensor, the plug on the sensor wires, checked all the wires and the ecm plugs. Everything seems fine there. The cruise won't work cause it's trying to work off the what the speedo is reading, same thing With the jake. I've even unplugged the speedo behind the dash and that doesn't change anything

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Make sure that the trans yoke is tight, the VSS tone ring can spin on the shaft when it comes loose.

4. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Probably like Grapeape Said tone ring is loose

5. Hertz309

Hertz309 Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Have checked it and the nut will not budge. Been bouncing down a rough highway today and it suddenly reads right for half a minute or so then goes back down, and when it climbs to my current speed it does it at a steady pace

6. Kitty power

Kitty power Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2017
    SWAG I had same problem How many miles on Trans? You ain't gonna like this but a tone ring covered with ground up trans guts will do this some times a rough road knocks some loose. Oh yeah loose plug or wire at trans or rubbed bouncing sensor wire.took trans out and rebuilt installed OOUUCCHH! kittypower

7. Hertz309

Hertz309 Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Sensor and cog ring are all external though on this tranny

8. W900AOwner

W900AOwner Heavy Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    I'd check the GROUND wire as well before you go too crazy. Electricity is lazy, and no grounds do funny things. If the tach, speedo AND cruise are acting up, I'd go there myself. KW uses ONE common ground wire for everything behind the dash panel, not sure how Peterbilt is configured, but I'd check that soon anyways. Shine up the spot on the main ground where instruments are grounded and see what happens. Worth a shot anyways.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.