Spray painting the load on a truck before unloading?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Wespipes, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I had a 67 Belvidere 2 that had an Earl Scheib paint job. It actually looked good and held up. It had no shine at all. They also had the vinyl top dyed. It was peeling bad, after a few yrs. word was they used such cheap acrylic paint, you had to completely strip it down, before re painting. Maaco is a big improvement over Earl Scheib. Old joke was “ Looks like an Earl Scheib job” Like Freightliners, primer or “ sealant” as they called it was extra. Lol.

PoleCrusher, JoeyJunk and Jaebo74 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jaebo74

Jaebo74 Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2021
    Well technology has to affect even things like painting on the cheap

4. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    My next door neighbor growing up would drive down to Philadelphia to see Earl.

His strategy was to stay with the car as long as possible and slip the actual painter an extra $20.00, which was still a nice tip in the early 70's. He would pull the badges first and usually got a decent job.

Rideandrepair and PoleCrusher Thank this.
  5. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    Nah almost 1/4 million in equipment.
    Spray paint up wind of his 32K pickup and see how upset he gets.

glad it worked out for ya!!

6. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I can tell you just exactly how much from experience. :biggrin_2559:

First job out of high school was working for a painter. His son, Ralph, and I were painting a pipeline compressor station. The actual compressor station was quite a long ways away from the control room and parking lot, but there was a pretty stiff wind that day...

On the way to lunch Ralph figured he would just have a gander at the cars in the parking lot. :biggrin_25524:

But wait, it gets worse...

While we're out for lunch, Ralph says, "I'll just pick up some cleaner and we'll fix it right up." It might have been acetone, might have been lacquer thinner, I can't remember what he got. Anyhow, we go back to the jobsite...

The car with the most obvious overspray was a new Ford [something]. It was black and we were using white paint. This car was also some kind of "special edition." It had Starsky & Hutch-type strip, but it was multicolored--yellow, orange and red, IIRC. Ralph proceeds to wet a rag with the cleaner and wipes it across the roof of the car...

So now, in addition to the white flecks of overspray, there is a great big yellow, orange and red swipe across the black roof and a decal with a giant white spot in the middle of it. :biggrin_2559:

7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I had a primer gray 69' Bird with a .10 over 350 that red lined just under 7000 rpm. It would bump 170 mph.

The kid and the nag dumped ice cream, pizza, soda, God knows what else on it and in it.

Primer for the win.

8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    an Earl Scheib paint job..???

well, back in the early 1970's, my then boss had his car repainted by them. i think the price back in those days was like $69.99

how was the paint job..??

well, it was actually quite decent......

but for one tiny thing..

the dummies let it air dry, under a tree.....

a few leaves dried into the paint on the trunk.....

kinda left a real neat design feature, that Earl never charged my boss any extra for......

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I just bought an 03 Grand Cherokee in Florida. Nice, except for paint/ Clear coats faded. A Maaco $400 special might just be the ticket. Remove trim, fine sand and tape edges myself. Not worth spending much more.

10. Vampire

Vampire Medium Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Transylvania
    My dad had a 67 GTX 440 4 speed. I loved driving that car. I first learned to drive a stick in that car. Hell, every other time I took it out he got something new. Tires, an oil change, new spark plugs and the last thing I did was give it a paint job for his birthday. He recently sold it. I'll miss it, but I was happy for him. :occasion5:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.