Spring Suspension Tandem Dump Truck Ride

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by OldRed98, Nov 30, 2023.

1. SL3406

SL3406 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I'm in the same position. My truck is air ride, but wanting to update to something newer. Prices just don't make sense to me. I'm probably going to keep mine too.

Oxbow and OldRed98 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OldRed98

OldRed98 Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado
    I found a company called Donvel. They do a steering axle air bag which is supposed to help absorb a lot of shock. I noticed an improvement when I replaced my front shocks so maybe a front airbag would help. If I keep my truck I might give this a try. Most of their kits are about $1875.

Oxbow and SL3406 Thank this.
  4. OldRed98

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado
    Does anyone know how to figure your front axle gross weight? My door sticker says GAWR Front 12000 GAWR first Intermediate 19,000. Does this mean I need to upgrade my front axle to be able to run a drop axle and max out weights?

5. RGN

RGN Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2014
    If it's a 12k front it's 12,000lbs. Putting big fatty 425's on it doesn't do anything for your GVWR- there's more to it than just the rubber. I think I saw either LKQ or Holst had complete cut-off 20k twin steer for around $4k.
    Is your double frame full length? No rust jacking? There's a lot of point load where the cylinder mounts to the frame when dumping, it will start cracking there with a long box and loading for a lift and heavy front (ask me how I know...)
    Can you get at least 60" between the FR and the lift (assuming steer lift)?
    The T800 I'm building is a 220" WB factory 4-axle, heavy frame for the lift axle, 14.6k front, 12k lift, and 46-160H rears 11r24.5's & 295r22.5 on lift so it should be good for 72,600 right? Nope, door sticker says 66,600. What? That's not right. Ahhhh......the Chalmers rear suspension is 40k! Weakest link in the chain.

Vampire, OldRed98 and Oxbow Thank this.
  6. OldRed98

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado
    My double frame is from the back and ends under my cab. So I suppose that could be an issue. I have to take some measurements. The other issue is my door sticker says my GVWR is 50,000.

I’m trying to learn more about GVWR and looking at quad dumps truck for sale. It confuses me because I’m seeing 6 axle dump trucks with GVWR of 68,000. Why would you want so many axles if you can only gross 68,000? Does anyone know if you can exceed this GVWR weight?

I think my ideal truck set up would be something that can haul 26 tons. I have a tractor trailer truck too (in addition to my tandem) but most of my deliveries are residential and can’t fit in a tractor trailer. So I’m guessing I need a quad or quint with an 80,000+ GVWR.

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If you're double framed a foot or 2 past where the hoist cylinder mounts I wouldn't worry much.

Personally I think double frames are over-utilized. My old man owned 2 tridrives, hauled long logs about 50/50 bush and highway and never had an issue with just single rails, 3/8" thick IIRC. Legal axle weights I believe on the truck alone was roughly 69k lbs. About 53,000 lbs on the drives and 16,000 lbs on the steer axle. This is assuming the charts I found online for Western Canada are accurate.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
    Vampire and OldRed98 Thank this.
  8. RGN

RGN Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2014
    What the factory rates it for safe operation- axles, suspension, brakes, transmission, cooling,... = GVWR/GCWR

Bridge laws. Michigan trains come to mind. I think it's Colorado that has some crazy super dump combo 315" wb and a bunch of weird spaced axles.

Sure, till the tires pop. Scale it? Probably not.

My advice- go online to Colorado gov't site for trucking and look at what the bridge laws are for aggregate and go from there.

OldRed98 Thanks this.
  9. OldRed98

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado
    In Colorado I see you can get an over wieght permit to run 110K on a 6 or 7 axle dump truck. However, you cannot not exceed 20K per axle. But the max GVRW that I see on any super dumps is 80-90K. 90K is on the supers with the drop bar axle on the rear.

Then when I'm at the quarry I'm seeing everyone running 97,000 on a 3 axle tractor with a 2 axle dump trailer. They have to be exceeding the GVWR. Our local quarry are sticklers and won't let you leave if your over weight and you have to give them a copy of any over weight permits.

SL3406 Thanks this.
  10. SL3406

SL3406 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Where I'm at the dot doesn't seem to be concerned about the axle rating on the door stickers. I have a 12k pound steer axle, and have replaced the springs with 3 leaf 18k springs. I'm running 11r24.5's so I'm limited to 14k on the tires. I got a ticket a couple years ago for being 60 pounds over the tire rating on one steer tire, but they didn't seem concerned I was 2000 pounds over the axle rating.

W923 and OldRed98 Thank this.
  11. OldRed98

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado
    I went to my local DOT port and found out that in Colorado you can get a permit to run 110k on a quad axle dump truck. It has to be a quad and can’t be more or less axles. I guess state a federal bridge formula doesn’t matter with the permit.

I’ve been looking at buying a different truck but some of these quads are selling for crazy prices. I saw a quad w900 similar to mine that sold for $110,000.

Then I found a nice Pete 359 quad listed for 60k. But it has a single frame and he said he only runs at 62,500 gross in his. It’s a tractor he converted to a dump truck.

I have a long wheel base in my current truck with room to add 2 steerable tags axles. Wonder how hard it would be to convert my truck to a quad. I already have a double frame and that Hendricks spring is rough but solid. Besides having some blow by, my truck is in better shape than most of what’s for sale. Get a smaller fuel tank to mount under my door, move my hydraulic tank and add 2 axles. Get higher rated steers tires. Maybe extend my bed height. I might need to upgrade my steer axle to a 20k. But could probably do all that for less than 25k. I would only need to gross about 79k. With 5 axles (including the steer) I might not even need to upgrade my steer axle but not positive.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.