Square bulldog gooseneck with crank to kingpin?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by crocky, Apr 5, 2021.

1. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Has anyone ever pulled apart a bulldog square tube gooseneck coupler?

I'm talking about this one like they put on BigTex trailers.

[​IMG]

BULLDOG | Gooseneck Trailer Coupler

The shop I was going to have do my trailer mods is delaying me right now and I'm wanting to get my semi 5th wheel mounted to my truck so I can get my permanent fenders and airbags set up along with frame decking. I'm at a standstill on getting my truck finished because I need to get the semi 5th wheel mount in place of my gooseneck ball.

I'm curious if anyone has ever replaced the coupler on one of these bulldog cranksets up with a kingpin coupler? The bulldog setup isn't like a normal slide out one with the pins because it has the hand crank to raise and lower it so I can't just buy a normal square tube kingpin coupler.. It seems bulldog doesn't sell a replacement they only sell it as a ball coupler and not a kingpin. Has anyone ever swapped one of these over? Is there anyone that makes a kingpin set up for this style of crank type neck?

I'm wanting to put a square tube kingpin on my trailer so I can add the semi 5th wheel and finish up my new truck but I haven't been able to because the trailer shop I was going to have do my trailer is now dragging their feet.

I want to put one like this on the trailer for now so I can use it with the semi 5th wheel.

[​IMG]

Does anyone know how the crank attaches on the top one?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    I have the square pinned 5th wheel now but that adjustable setup looks great.

4. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Well it's nice for the 1 time you need to adjust it to your truck.. lol However right now I wish it were just the normal pined set up because then I could simply swap out the coupler tube with one that has a kingpin.

5. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Can you loosen the set screw, then crank it till the ball coupler pops out the bottom.?

Then slip in the square kingpin, get it to your proper ride height tighten set screw, & drill holes for a through pin like the other style.. Just a thought. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't.? I've never dealt with that particular bulldog..

Hey, remember few weeks ago I said something about a cb, & we're bound to cross paths..? Lol 99% sure I seen you 3/16, maybe 10:00am.? You were southbound 75, round Wildwood, few miles north of the FL turnpike 75 split.. I can't remember what you had on deck, but I had this Ditch Witch on.. lol, maybe next time.. :thumbup:

20210407_020622.jpg

Lite bug, crocky and 24kHotshot Thank this.
  6. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Umm I'm not 100% sure when I came back into FL, I think it was a bit after that but I would have come down i75 but I always get off i75 in Ocala at the exit with the 2 pilots and the Loves I then head east on sr40, toward Deland so that's a bit before the turnpike.

I don't recall when exactly I came back but it's been a few weeks at this point. I ended up getting covid my last trip out and had to sit around with that and then when I was ready to leave last week my grandfather passed away (was expected) So I then had to stay for his funeral so I've been home several weeks now so maybe I was there around the 15th.

I would have been much later than 10am though because I overnighted up in South GA and was very lazy coming home because I was sick. So I would have been around that area closer to 2pm-3pm.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    24kHotshot and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  7. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Oooo, that sucks partner. Sorry to hear.. Expected or not, it's never easy. Grandpops are the best, its very tough to see them pass on..

Sorry to hear about the Rona too, but fortunately you beat it!! The 2 weeks quarantine or however long it is must have eaten you up.? Tough couple weeks.. :confused:

I was sort of guesstimating the time & location as it was a few weeks back.. I loaded in Davenport, time stamp on my load pic said 7:38am, but was chained down & ready to roll.. I could have been farther up 75 than I thought.? It was my load out of the house for a 3 week stretch, so I could be fuzzy as well.? Definitely north of Wildwood, as I took 27 from Davenport, then grabbed the FL turnpike there around Minneola & rode that till it ends & dumped me off on 75 NB.. I blew the the horn, but chance of you hearing that are slim. Well with how sound travels, & if it even was you..? Lol Either way, keep er greasy side down & we'll catch ya next time!! :thumbup:

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  8. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    It's not really 2 weeks anymore as they learned more they adjusted it. It's basically 10 days from your 1st symptoms so long as you aren't getting worse and 24hrs after you last had a fever.

In my situation, I didn't even suspect I had it for several days. I never had a fever so I couldn't go by that and I never lost taste or smell. I was just getting fatigued but I thought maybe it was because I'd been out on the road nearly a month at that time.

I didn't start getting the cough and until like 3 days into it and it was pretty much that which made me start thinking about it.. Wasn't anything I could really do, though I was already loaded headed to TN so I just didn't go near anyone and did my run. I dropped in TN at a guy's house but he wasn't even there so I just took pictures and left. I still had a partial on the front to deliver a few miles from my house, so it sucked but I didn't reload anything else in TN to take to FL so I lost some money there but I didn't want to have to make contact with anyone.

(if you saw me my load at that point was just about 10-12ft L x3,5ft high tarped at the front of the trailer and the back 30ft or so was empty)

I unloaded the day after I got home, but that was pretty much no contact, I untarpped/unstrapped in the street then let them do their thing and I stayed away, so it worked out about as good as it could considering there isn't a lot we can really do if we get it on the road.

I felt a bit ####ty that day when I got home after unloading but it was hot as hell and I was in the direct sun whereas the last month I'd been in average temp of 70 degrees but that was the only day I felt really ####ty then after that I was fine. I stayed around the house a week after that just to be careful, but I was feeling fine by then. Around that time the state health dept called and asking me a ton of questions then said I was fine by that time to go back to normal.

I haven't had any lingering issues that you hear about with the exception I still get a bit of a cough sometimes but it's very random. That and a few days I was getting the sore muscle thing but that went away as well.

Overall was lucky I guess. My grandfather who died was 95 and he got covid in the nursing home. He survived covid itself, but he failed to thrive afterward. He never really recovered from it because prior to getting covid he was able to walk around as good as a 95 year old can, but after it he was bedridden and just went downhill for 3 or 4 months. He held on a long time but he was in a lot of pain so it was better he finally went.

BTW, I didn't realize you were out of FL as well. I'm over NE of Orlando kinda near Sanford.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    singlescrewshaker and 24kHotshot Thank this.
  9. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    I'm sorry for your loss buddy.

crocky and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  10. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL

Good to hear you fought off the virus pretty well..

I feel for you passing up the extra freight, especially coming into FL. I try to get as much as I can coming home, as I know it will be a struggle outbound.. Faced with your situation, I'd have done the exact same to try & minimize others risk. Tough to pass up extra money, but that was the commendable thing to do IMO.. :thumbup:

Hopefully Grandpop had a good time in those 95 yrs. Amazing to think back on all the innovation he'd seen over the course of his life.. Its ashame to wonder "what if" he'd never got the virus in the 1st place.? Condolences to you & your family for his loss..

I'm on the gulf coast in Palmetto. Just north of Bradenton & south of St. Petersburg..

crocky Thanks this.
  11. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    yeah he worked at NASA on their generator crew for quite a few years at the cape also for Pan-Am and FL today new paper.. So he had the license to go just about anywhere there as far as security clearances go so I'm sure he saw a lot just there..

He said you had to watch where you took a pee if you were in the woods because there was probably a camera..lol

I know growing up I saw pretty much every shuttle launch for the 1st 10 or 15 or so because always got gate passes between my grandfather & aunt/uncle who worked there too.

As far as FL.. man cars have been really good again. I dunno why, but it's almost the volume & prices of the spike FL had when the auction got backed up from COVID. Usually, you're fighting for .60/mile on a care out of FL but I'm seeing the occasional over a dollar and lots of ..70-.90's/mile.

I was gonna leave today, but after sitting home so long I got lazy.. lol so now I'm leaving out Monday I guess haha

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.