2001 GMC T7500 3126 Cat squealing alternator/belt

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by hatebeinadriver, Jan 20, 2019.

1. hatebeinadriver

hatebeinadriver Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2015
    2001 GMC T7500 (tilt cab) 3126 cat 210hp. mobile home toter.
    I lost serpentien belt 1 week ago on my way home, started with a high pitch hummm.
    stopped to check, no evidence of worn belt. so got back on the rd. about 30 miles later hummin would come and go.then lost serpentine belt, limped it to rest area, shut down and have since replaced all of the following.(pain in the but to lift cab and service.)
    belt, tensioner, ac compressor, alternator, fan clutch bearing.
    keep getting high pitch squeal.
    tried 2 different brand new delco remmy alternators.
    1 remaned Wilson alternator
    1 used alternator.
    4 different belts( heavy duty grade belts are too loose,)
    tried switching pulley on alternator.
    tried putting old tensioner on.
    2 new batteries (delco)
    it now only squeals when putting load or strain on alternator as in driving down the rd.
    at idle has stopped squealing.
    cant seem to get nut torqued to 70/80 lbs. without stripping inside of aluminum shaft.
    have tried an impact also to get tighter.

I am no good at wrenching. however seasoned mechanic has looked at this, and half of the replaced items are due to trial and error.
    still no luck.

I am at this point leaning towards needing an OEM alternator which comes with the pulley, and I can only assume the pully will be already torqued to specs.
    I am feeling like the motor is just putting too much strain on pulley on alternator and wont tighten down enough.
    please forgive my ignorance, I am going broke in a hurry and stressed out, as if I cant run the truck I cant earn.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ebill45

ebill45 Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2011
    dalton ga
    You got something trying to lockup. It’s isually the ac compressor or the bearing in the alternator pulley. If you can turn the alternator pulley with your hand with the belt on it. It’s too loose

4. hatebeinadriver

Feb 10, 2015
    already replaced ac compressor brand new $450
    not able to turn alternator with belt on by hand.
    only 2 options in belts for this truck, have tried both belts, and 2 different belts for each option

5. ebill45

Oct 11, 2011
    dalton ga
    It’s going one of the pulleys if the belt is tight and new.

6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    well, you never changed the water pump.....or the power steering pump....those are the only 2 things left with bearing.

in the future should this happen again, remove the belt(s) and spin each device by hand..all devices should spin with relative ease. you should be able to not only feel some drag (bad bearing) but you may even get to hear some noises as well.

yes, you did a trial and error..

you could have just as easily called for road service, and that person would have been able to pin point the noise for you.

by way, the alternator, if it comes with a pulley, that pulley will be torqued down from the factory.

7. hatebeinadriver

Feb 10, 2015
    this truck only runs ac compressor, alternator and tensioner on serpentine which runs off main engine pulley,
    water pump runs on separate pulley and belt and noise is not present when serpentine is not on.
    I did spin each device by hand, ( only tensioner sounds like bearing are bad and only evident when off truck and holding next to your ear.)
    I believe the tensioner went bad which caused belt to let go.(not seized but bearings do sound loose)
    I chose to do alternator as I was in there and trying to be diligent about preventative.
    a road service tech is only as good as his experience. I am not a complete dumb ###.
    as I said a seasoned mechanic is also having trouble diagnosing this.
    by the way an OEM alternator is the only alternator that comes with pulley for this truck, hence the reason I am leaning toward getting one. (this application is considered external for cat, therefore it is an AC/DELCO unit)
    just looking for other NON EVIDENT ideas which I have mentioned above. before I spend more $ on something that may or may not fix.
    I was really hoping for a seasoned well versed mechanic to respond, Really don't care for the driver responses or the part time wrench responses.
    a cat experienced mechanic response would be great,

8. ebill45

Oct 11, 2011
    dalton ga
    Duh. Sounds like the tensioner pulley. The water pump will probably be gear driven so it dint overheat if you break a belt.

9. ebill45

Oct 11, 2011
    dalton ga
    No mechanic can diagnose it without looking at it. You got 3 pulleys so it’s one of those

10. hatebeinadriver

Feb 10, 2015
    are you a mechanic?
    just asking?

11. ebill45

Oct 11, 2011
    dalton ga
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.