1. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    This might explain it...

Found this on the internet under a search of "If I don't have a car, do I still need SR-22".

Hope this helps. You will need to do the SR-22 at a very much higher rate.

What will hurt you is the license suspension for such a long time.

If I don't have a car, do I still need to have an SR-22?

Question: I had a SR-22 when I had a car; however, I lost my car to the bank last summer, so I dropped insurance, too. I was recently pulled over by police while driving a friend's car and found out that my license was suspended due to not having the SR-22. If I don't have a car, I still need to have a SR-22? Was I supposed to know this?

Answer: Yes, and yes. It may seem silly to require that you have auto insurance even if you don't own a car, but when you are required to file an SR-22, that is what is expected.

The notice that you received explaining that you were required to have an SR-22 filed with the state should have detailed how long the SR-22 needed to be maintained (typically it’s three years) and that if you were to cancel auto insurance during this period what the penalties would be. Usually, it’s specifically noted that you don’t need to own a car to have to obtain the required auto insurance coverage and SR-22.
    Remember, the SR-22 isn’t an actual part of your car insurance policy, but a special filing with the state that certifies you have certain auto insurance coverages in place. Once this future proof of financial responsibility is in place, your auto insurer is required to alert the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) if your insurance policy, and thus SR-22, lapses or cancels.

In most states, if your SR-22 lapses for any reason, then your license and vehicle registration (if you had a vehicle) will be suspended.

Solution: A non-owners policy

Why all this hassle? The states that mandate the SR-22 usually do so only after a driver has been convicted of a serious offense or as part of the reinstatement process after a person’s license has been suspended or revoked. The state wants to monitor these motorists and make sure they’re adequately insured to take care of future auto accidents if they’re negligent and harm others while driving -- even if the vehicle being operated isn’t owned by them.
    If you had contacted the DMV when you lost your car to the bank, you would’ve discovered that you needed to obtain a non-owners insurance policy and continue on with your SR-22 filing.

A non-owners auto policy’s benefits are meant to be secondary coverage for when you are operating cars that you don’t own. So, when you’re borrowing a friend’s car, that person would still need to have primary insurance on their vehicle.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
  4. to truck or not to truck

to truck or not to truck Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2013
    va,nc,sc areas
    thanks Mark Kling for all the great info! just wish i had known before i came to school. my states online service says my dl was ok wasnt till they did a national check did we find out! will work it out and hope to get on the road with a company! be safe out there.

5. Zackm81

Zackm81 Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Longview TX
    How is your sr22 costing you a month? Can't get a quote online because all the insurance companies are asking for vehicle info but yet I don't a vehicle. Just drive a company semi.

6. NorCalLivn

NorCalLivn Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2017
    From my most recent experience, I had to get a SR-22 and got non-owner coverage. Up front it ran me about $220 and for 6 month's at $24 each month for 6 month's, but I paid the whole 6 month's so I wouldn't have to deal with monthly payments. Also reason I went with 6 months is because in order to get onto my wife's insurance I have to have my licence for a min. of 6 month's, she has Geico Insurance and to be added the SR-22 is free, we'll just pay the difference in premium. Also I recently got my CDL and as long as you don't have any type of vehicle under your name and owner has coverage you can drive/operate their vehicle/tractor. I'll be driving for my buddy this coming week and to add me it'll cost 15k annually. I don' drink no more nor have I in over 6yrs, I'm a roughneck at trait have been for 7.5yrs and that job is extremely stressful and 12 to 16hr shifts, I drive from northern Cali to west TX, a little over 1300 miles, it pays very well but I can't keep beating my body. So that's why I'm switching careers. But any how know the difference in SR22's ask insurance company questions and as you stated drive company tractor.

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I remember my brother trying to get his license at 16. Didn't own a car so he didn't have insurance. Because he didn't have insurance he couldn't get a license. Because he didn't have a license. He couldn't get insurance.

What a bunch of red tape.

Toomanybikes Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.