"Stable work history")

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by phantom 310, Dec 2, 2021.

1. phantom 310

phantom 310 Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2017
    Is that some kind of otr company inside joke?I mean, if the industry standard is 100% turnover how would anyone have a stable steady work history?it's like companies who pay 9.00 an hour saying must have reliable transportation. How would a person who works for 9 bucks an hour have ANY transportation how would people in a profession with 100%turnover have steady work history?I'm so confused.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Many companies have very little turnover. They also don't run ads continuously on Craigslist or hire the next guy walking in the door. If you want to work at those companies you have to avoid the junk companies, and not change jobs every time you discover a lie. Once you go down the path of working at high turnover companies it's hard to break that pattern.

4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Other than being an owner operator I’ve had two driving jobs. Worked at a Pepsi distributor for 2 years and worked for a small regional flatbed carrier for 10. Avoid the junk companies and it’s pretty easy to have a stable work history.

5. phantom 310

Dec 14, 2017
    I've been working for my own company forever I'm just wondering how they plan to end the so called driver shortage if all of the companies I see looking for drivers have 100% turnover yet they require a steady employment history but they themselves don't have a steady employee history and I understand you're going to have job hoppers but you're trying to tell me these companies with 100%turnover are good companies they just so happen to end up with a job hopper 100% of the time after having such stringent hiring requirements to start with its like a Chinese riddle and sounds to me like they're turning good employees into job hoppers if 100% of them had steady employment history to get the job and all 100%quit after a relatively short period I'm beginning to think it's a bad company problem rather than a bad attitude employee problem think I'll Google trucking companies with low turnover and see what happens.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  6. phantom 310

Dec 14, 2017
    Great advice,but it seems that they're the ones hiring drivers right out of school guess these new guys just have take a screwing and like it for a while in order to qualify for the good jobs it's a shame because I think a lot of good people get a bad taste in their mouths from trying to get their foot in the door and leave the industry before even experiencing how good trucking can be I mean a person can only take so much being lied to shortchanged etc before they throw in the towel and never gain enough time to qualify for a real job I just see the cycle continuing until these trash outfits are held accountable or something

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  7. LoboSolo

LoboSolo Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Highway 20
    The same 100% turnover companies are also geared up to immediately firing anyone over chicken #### stuff. #### happens!

8. Milr72

Milr72 Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    S W Missouri
    I think a lot of the time when a driver is hired, they only hear what they want to hear during the hiring process. Then what they should have heard becomes reality, they quit and hop to the next job.
    I drove for 42 years and worked at 5 different companies with longest time at my first driving job was 20 years and the shortest time was 7 months. So like it was said before, not everyone is job hopping every couple of years.

9. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    A city bus is considered reliable transportation to most jobs. Maybe even a pogo stick.

10. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    It's not like the old days. My grandparents worked for the same employers their entire lives and my mother was a nurse at the same hospital for near 40 years.
    I've trucked my entire life and 13 years Is the longest at 1 employer.
    Pretty sure they just dont want to see 5 jobs in a year.

11. Plantfoam

Plantfoam Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2015
    DFW
    A big chunk of people don't make it through their first year, and that is a lot of the turnover.

12. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

"Driver Shortage" is a media hoax. 400,000 new CDL drivers are licensed each year. Most of those new drivers quit once they see the working conditions & pay at the companies that hire them. Those companies have nearly 100% turnover rate, but many other companies don't hire newbies and don't replace all of their drivers yearly. New drivers focus only on which company will give them a "free CDL" and of those companies which can I quit the soonest. When you do no research you get bad results.

The mega-fleets and ATA plan to end the phoney driver shortage, not by improving conditions (too expensive) but by hiring/importing newbies from non-traditional sources. Those sources are foreign/refugees populations, those recently released jail/prison, women, mid-life career-changers, etc.

The "shortage" is because the pay & conditions are undesirable. They could end the "shortage" by making pay & conditions similar to the companies with very low turnover. Remember EVERY YEAR there are more new drivers entering the field than the highest number anyone claims they need over the next years. The New York Yankees win more Championships because they spend far more on players than other teams. The low payroll teams go decades without a Championship title. Excellence costs more than average.

New drivers won't research and assume every company has average pay & conditions. Caveat Emptor.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.