Stake pockets on a Landoll

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by deathB4decaf, Jan 9, 2019.

1. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I haven't posted in quite a while, when I did I was in charge of safety and now I also am the driver coordinator (woohoo!). The drivers had told me they wanted stake pockets on our Landoll trailer that we use to transport 40' containers. During the weekly meeting (that I am not included in), my boss brought up the stake pockets. One of our sales guys, who also carries a CDL, said that you cannot legally use stake pockets for tie downs or chains. The lead driver was able to be in the meeting during this portion and the salesman said that he received a $200 fine for doing that. I am reading through my regulations book again to make sure but I would like some feedback from experience. (As far as I know, this isn't an area of expertise for the salesman and none of our drivers have heard of that.) Any help?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rcelmo

rcelmo Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2015
    No law that I am aware of...….but most stake pockets have a pretty low
    strength rating. Tie down strength should be marked somewhere on the trailer.
    Many trailers do not permit using the spools or rub rail for tiedown.

I am sure you are aware but any tiedown is only as strong as the weakest link.
    So even if you use a chain rated for 7500Pounds.....if the pocket is only rated for
    3500Pounds you are only good for the 3500.

What I will often do if possible is go down through one stake pocket and come
    up through a different one and hook the chain back into itself......that way two pockets
    are holding one chain. I have seen where chains were wrapped around the outside of
    the pocket and than hooked to the pocket itself...….and sometimes that will collapse the
    sides of the pocket.

Also check the rating on the "pull-up chains" if you trailers have any of those. Many of
    those have a really low rating. Point is you need to check what YOUR trailers' rating is.
    This can vary a lot from one manufacturer to another.

deathB4decaf Thanks this.
  4. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Anchor points are NOT required to be rated by the FMCSA. Period.

5. kylefitzy

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Anchor points are NOT required to be rated by the FMCSA. Period.

6. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    The drivers were saying that when they hook onto the current that it sometimes just falls off. They wanted to have the stake pockets installed and the company is doing that. I told them I need to get out on some runs to get a better idea of what all of this is. Not cool to try and have me doing all this when I have no experience with any of it and my nights are spent studying a book. (The books I am reading through just aren't enough. I need hands on.)

7. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Why not d-rings like an RGN has?

8. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Why are you wanting stake pockets on a Landoll? We've got a Landoll 440A, and I have to admit the chain slots don't work when you have a load the complete width of the trailer (as in a container). Stake pockets aren't going to work any better than the chain slots in that regard.

What is the reasoning for wanting stake pockets? I'd think D-rings would be a better option.

beastr123, Tug Toy and cke Thank this.
  9. Nothereoften

Nothereoften Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2018
    Stake pockets are not rated.

10. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    On a Landoll? Why?

11. kylefitzy

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    That’s a pretty broad factually incorrect statement.

stwik, johndeere4020 and LoneCowboy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.